• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clean Fender Trim Job...

Well, the front fenders are done. I used a jigsaw and it turned out pretty good! I just need to pick up some black door trim to finish it off. I'll tackle the rear fenders tomorrow.

Im looking into doing this, I have an air saw, buuut my compressor sucks! its only like a 5gal one that we use just for like a nail gun...

i used a die grinder with a wheel, not as slow as a dremel, but almost as much control. also not using like 100 wheels is a plus.

x2 came out clean and great for me..

I used a jigsaw and a grinder as well to do my front and rear fenders. I used blue tape so not to peel the paint which worked good on front fenders, however on rear I cut and folded it around the welds so not as to break the strength of em. When I folded it paint flaked off so I am not sure how to keep that from happening, however the paint that flaked was on bottom edge and part that was folded. I have a white XJ and I grabed some white gloss rustolem paint and sprayed it over the paint flaked area (it seemed to match real well to my surprise) so as to keep it from rusting.

While on the subject on the rear cut and fold. Just before you hammer the tabs back, It's a good idea to put some sorta of a sealer behind it to help with the potential of moister buildup behind the seam.

While on the subject on the rear cut and fold. Just before you hammer the tabs back, It's a good idea to put some sorta of a sealer behind it to help with the potential of moister buildup behind the seam.

That is a good idea :). Wish I would have thought of that before I did my rear, oh well guess i know for next time hehe.

Any autoparts store really should have door edge molding. I think I got mine at Kragen or Pep Boys. It even comes in chrome! If you're so inclined :D

I've been thinking of trimming my fenders, my stupid stock flares keep falling off. I finally just got really OCD and tore them all off, took the brackets off and redid the whole process and bolted them on. They hold up a lot better but I hate that stupid design and I'm sure they will fall off again.
I would trim my fenders but I want to cover my tires still, but I don't want to dump a lot of money into Bushwackers.

Any autoparts store really should have door edge molding. I think I got mine at Kragen or Pep Boys. It even comes in chrome! If you're so inclined :D

Thx mike :).

Back