• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clean coolant system after freeze plug change

seigeXJ90

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I'm replacing 6 freeze plugs (replaced on back of head during valve job) and 5 along the left side of the block after one of them popped out (i guess there's one behind the bell housing? But i'm not pulling the transmission this time to replace it.

So down in the hole/cavity of the one that was missing (4th freeze plug back) i noticed particles, possibly of the rusted freeze plug metal sitting there with what coolant's left .. whats the best way to flush that out without clogging the coolant system...

1990 Xj 4.0L i-6 stock

thanks

Garden hose works pretty well. There is a drain plug on the driver side of the block you can unscrew to let all the water back out when you're done, iirc.

thanks.. i just felt inside the other freeze plug ports and noticed there's quite a bit of stuff in there.. so if I install the new freeze plugs and then do a coolant flush using the drain plugs, am I safe to say i'm not going to clog up any small holes or anything in the cooling system in the block?

Back