• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Classic cars crushed!!

How do we view "The Stimulus Package" the Obama signed into law? I have a theroy on what this could do but the law would have to be written a certain way.

The question I have about this, is it specifically written into the legislation that the cars will be crushed and scrapped? I know the law has passed and been signed by Czar Obama (its a joke before everyone throws things at me), but if the cars turned in under this are sold to junkyards where the parts will still be available to people needing parts, or the cars that are still roadworthy can still stay in the marketstream, then I don't see the huge deal.

But IF the law says the cars MUST be crushed and scrapped, then I am vehemently opposed to it.
yup if it was setup to put them in the pic a parts. that would be ok then i would be able to scavenge more parts.

If you bring 4 clunkers in can you get 4 rebates, thats a new 4 door wrangler right there.

Those clunkers will have to be registered and in service for one year prior to the conversion.

And they have to get a maximum of 18 MPG average to qualify for conversion (using the govt's MPG figures, not your observed MPGs)

And the new vehicle has to get a certain amount better MPG than the one being converted (IIRC it's 4 MPG better for $3500 or 10 MPG better for the $4500)

And the new vehicle can not cost more than $45,000.00

I HIGHLY DOUBT they will allow more than one trade in per new vehicle.

Here's more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-05-11-chrysler-gm-cash-clunkers_N.htm

Does an XJ qualify as a trade in? How much money would I get? Can I use it to get a new smart car? Thats what I want to know.

smart-car-monster-thumb.jpg

Ok, so the monster Smart Car is a joke, but I would like one to commute in.

Smart Cars are dumb! I could never fit into one of those things, last time I saw one the guy driving it had his shoulders scrunched together and he looked really out of place in it.

Not to mention that the Corolla, Jetta TDI, Civic, etc all get better mileage and are much roomier. A Smart car gets like 35-38ish tops. Too many cars today do better than that to justify the Smart as anything other than a novelty.

The SMART car is nice for the city. You can zip around the streets quickly and fit into smaller parking spots. Kinda like people that drive golf carts around their communities.

But those idiots who drive them down the highway, well yes you are allowed to but that doesn't mean you should.

Several years ago in Topeka, KS, I had a 1980 Olds Delta 88. I had just finished installing the engine and had it running. Just waiting to be towed into the muffler shop to have the exhaust installed. Local scrap yard owner towed to his crusher and local PD refused to get involved.
Just sue the scrap yard for damages in small claims court, or drop by with a tow rig and tow something of his off, like his office or tow truck, and see how he likes it. Or even better set him up to illegally tow something (bait), and be there with the cops to catch him.

Re: Old POS cars parted out at the junkyard!

Sweet! How much you think I could get for an XJ?! :D

$3500 if the vehicle you replace the XJ with gets at least 2 mpg better or $4500 if the replacement gets 5 mpg better.

If the replacement gets worse MPG than the one you are trading in, you get no voucher.

FWIW & per the government's figures (the ones they will use to determine if you qualify) an 88 XJ 4.0/AW4/4x4 gets 15/20 for a combined mpg of 16, and a 2001 XJ 4.0/AW4/4X4 gets 14/18 for a combined mpg of 15... so these both would qualify. (I didn't look at all the versions, just 4.0, auto, 4WD) At a glance, 2.5l XJs will not qualify.

Here's where to check: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

I look at it this way:

#1 - IF you are going to be in the market for a new car anyway, and
#2 - IF your trade-in has little useful life left (or has other issues, but is currently running and on the road)

It may make some sense to send the old one to the boneyard.

In my specific case, I have an 88 XJ 4dr Limited, the sunroof has leaked for years, so not only does it smell like a swamp, it has 265000 (but runs decently.) No telling what rust issues lurk beneath the swampy carpet.

IF it were put back to OEM suspension & D35r, it'd no way be worth more than maybe a few hundred private sale. More if parted/sold in pieces (the 44 rear is probably worth more than the rest of the rig)

So this specific rig would be a good candidate - IF I wanted a new POS and a new payment.

As it stands, I have another shell vehicle, and the running gear from the 88 will be rebuilt and installed. Unless it gets hit by a train, it ought to outlast me. Probably end up with a couple grand in it, but that's less than one years' worth of depreciation of any new POS. Plus the insurance & 'upkeep' would be far far less.

To me "MPG" is overrated. I can hop on the bike and get 65-ish if I drive like an adult (hard to do) and only a little worse when I dance with the 14k rev-limiter.

As they say, YMMV :laugh3:

The money doesn't go in your pocket, it goes to the dealer and they will inflate the new car cost to cover it. So you really are trading a good XJ for a car payment and 4MPG better fuel mileage. Not worth it in my opinion.
The trade has to be on the government MPG list as well and many of the older XJs don't make the list because the gov't doesn't have to keep records as far back as 92 or older IIRC. 12-15 years is as far back as they are required to go.

Well, it passed.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...xNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNjYXNoLWNsdW5rZXJz

To be honest, I don't really care. It's optional. All it means is that IF you trade in your car for a new car that gets better fuel economy, you'll get waaay more for it that you would have normally, and your old car gets crushed instead of auctioned off.

It even says in the article that this program is not intended for older (classic) cars, but just for those who want to upgrade to get better fuel mileage. Who knows, this may be the answer the auto industry has been waiting for this whole time.

I was going to be buying a new car anyway, might as well steal 4500 bucks from the few people left paying taxes.

Looks like I'll be sending a somewhat clean lowish mileage 99 XJ to the scrapper...

I was going to be buying a new car anyway, might as well steal 4500 bucks from the few people left paying taxes.

Looks like I'll be sending a somewhat clean lowish mileage 99 XJ to the scrapper...

Yeah... Thanks for that.. Am I paying your mortgage as well? Sell off the XJ, and take that money and go buy a honduh...

No you won't has to be older then 1984 which excludes any of our XJ's. -Well that maybe wrong, it said to target vehicles older then 1984 but doesn't mention it's limited to them. A wrangler is not going to exceed the MPG rating of my XJ and it's the only new vehicle I would be interested in. The BMW gets 27-38 so it would be dumb to try and trade it in. And really a 4500 price drop is not going to do much for motivating me to get a new car. For example a 25k car is about $500 a month @ 5yrs. A 20.5k car is $415 a month. If 91 dollars is going to make or break the deal you shouldn't do it. People driving used cars are mostly doing so cause they owe little money on them or are payed for, I would guess.

Last edited:
Back