• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cibies vs IPF Headlamp

Can you get pictures of the back clearance? I've seen a few people do projectors and they all seemed to have clearance issues with the hood support bracket I believe. I was just curious how much room the mini's give you.

This was actually done on my other car, a 1990 Porsche 944. I'd be happy to grab a picture for you if it would help.

I just used "crystal clear"/flat housings from ebay. They were $20/set.

I wish i still had pictures but it looks like i deleted them. I basically just took the housings and cut the back off of them leaving an opening that was wide enough to fit the projector in. Then i put some PVC pipe between the front and the back half of the housing, slid the projector in, and glued it all together with some really strong plastic epoxy made for hot tubs. It sounds a little hokey but you'd never guess they weren't high-dollar unless you looked at the back. Because it all bolts in where the stock bulb goes, you retain all the stock adjusters.

The hardest part is making sure you have enough room behind your headlight mount for the projector--even the morimoto mini's are (IIRC) 5 3/4" deep + another 1/2" for the bulb and pigtail.

For some ideas check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
They have a section with DIY writeups or you can search for your bulb name.

Already signed up over there. either way I look at it i'm gonna have to cut, which is to be expected.

I am not telling anyone the cheaper lights are bad and to go out and buy the most expensive lights. I am suggesting using the proper light with the proper housing. Go buy quality housing like IPF or Cibies and put halogen bulbs in them as they were designed to have. You would likely be saving money buying a quality halogen bulb compared to a HID kit. Or, if you want HIDs go buy the proper projectors for them.

x2. Nobody is bashing those people with HIDs, just saying it is illegal for a reason. Do I care that you have illegal lights? No, I live in a different state so you won't be blinding me. Having brighter lights will increase your visibility at night which in turn increases your safety. If your lights have lots of glare, other drivers who are blinded will actually steer toward the brighter light, decreasing your safety. This has been proven many times when people face an oncoming car with its high beams on.

HIDs aren't meant for Halogen bulb housings. Its just the nature of the two bulbs. One has a much greater intensity and the housing will produce glare. Sure aiming them helps, but I can assure you 9 out of 10 people who "aim" their HID lights are doing it wrong or to what they "think" is ok.

Cheap HID kits also lack quality. I've seen many where the ballasts crap out after only a few months, or some that only have low beam. On average I see about 3 deer every night where I live. Not really a place where you want to be limited to low beam. For the price of cheap HIDs I got a quality H4 conversion (IPF), a better harness, and Hella 90/130w H4 bulbs. I have great visibility and have only been flashed once which was after I lifted my Jeep and was in the re-aiming process. The H4 conversion gives you more for the money. :pirate1:

Last edited:
x2. Nobody is bashing those people with HIDs, just saying it is illegal for a reason.
The problem isn't really legality. Its the glare for on coming drivers and poor beam pattern with hot spots. I'm sure the high end H4 housings are better, but not the idea solution to HID.
HIDs aren't meant for Halogen bulb housings. Its just the nature of the two bulbs. One has a much greater intensity and the housing will produce glare.
Its not so much the extra brightness as it is the improper location and light cast of the HID bulb vs. the halogen bulb.

While I've been tempted to try a bixenon HID it in my Cibies seeing other people with their HIDs in halogen housings with all the glare has stopped me from doing so. As well as the quality of after market HID. Sure, most of those clowns with drop in HID glare kits put them in stock halogen housings.

Talyn, that was your 4,000 post. Back to the topic........... So, if I buy Stern's stuff, then I will be legal, correct?

Yea I was just curious how far it sticks out passed the typical h4 housing.

Here's a few pictures i took just to give you an idea.

PB131677.jpg

PB131679.jpg

PB131678.jpg

Hope that helps!

IPF $39.99 each
Cibie $74.95 each

I don’t mind paying the extra coin if Cibie has a superior product. But if there’s not much difference, then I will stick with the IPF and save $70. I guess I'm needing someone to hold my hand and help me make a decision.
smiley_buttkick.gif

Last edited:
You guys are all wrong.
:roflmao:
IPF $39.99 each
Cibie $74.95 each

I don’t mind paying the extra coin if Cibie has a superior product. But if there’s not much difference, then I will stick with the IPF and save $70. I guess I'm needing someone to hold my hand and help me make a decision.
smiley_buttkick.gif
Get the IPFs.

Here's a few pictures i took just to give you an idea.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the pics, they do stick out pretty far. I've seen a few people add washers to the front of the headlights to move them forward to help with clearance also.

You should ask him that.

(1) Are the Osram 70/65w, part # 64205 halogen bulbs?

"Yes."

(2) Will these lights be legal for the U.S.?

"That is a much more complicated question to ask than it
sounds. These lights would not be legal for the manufacturer
to install as original equipment, because the manufacturer
is subject to Federal regulations that do _not_ regulate
vehicles in use or their owners. What state is the vehicle
registered in? That info will let me refer to your specific
jurisdictional code and comment accurately on legality.

The lamps do produce a beam pattern correct for driving on
the right-hand side of the road, and when aimed correctly
(VERY important) will produce less glare to other drivers."

For those of you who live in states with annual inspections and run e-code or HID headlights, do you have problems passing? Or do you temporarily switch back to stock headlights?

After responding that I lived in New Mexico, Daniel Stern said "Yep, you're fine with these lights per NM vehicle code."

Woohoo, I’m sold! :woohoo:

When I dealt with Dan Stern, he was prompt and had great information. Some folks don't like his prices, but I found his products to be top shelf. I have been running one of his light harnesses now for going on two years with no issues and this is on the daily driver that I also used for hunting, fishing, and general fun, so it definitely gets used.

Ya get what you pay for......

What's next on the list for mods, and did you get that sweet lift you were piecing together installed?

When I dealt with Dan Stern, he was prompt and had great information. Some folks don't like his prices, but I found his products to be top shelf. I have been running one of his light harnesses now for going on two years with no issues and this is on the daily driver that I also used for hunting, fishing, and general fun, so it definitely gets used.

Ya get what you pay for......

What's next on the list for mods, and did you get that sweet lift you were piecing together installed?

I feel the same way that you do. I found a lot of threads talking about the Cibie lights, Daniel’s harness and customer service. I never once read any problems or complaints. Sure, the price is higher, but I don’t mind paying more for good customer service and a quality product.

Here's a pic of the DPG 4" OME Hybrid Kit:

33846874109_large.jpg

Back