• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Q?

STR8AXLE

NAXJA Forum User
Pretty sure i have the 8.25 im my XJ wanted to make sure though, how do i go about doing that? Will someone post a pic so i can see the diff cover or is there another way, maybe just counting the bolts on the cover?

Another quick check: if you have a wheel or hubcap off, look at the indentation in the axle end. The Dana has a sort of hourglass or figure 8 indentation, pinched in the middle. The Chrysler is not pinched - rounded ends and parallel sides.

Dana 35C's have a little bit of webbing at the corners where the axle joins the pumpkin and on that webbing is embossed the Dana logo on one side, and "35C" on the other.

diffguardtype.jpg

you are right. im pretty sure the dana 35 got a rubber plug in 91 when pretty much everything was Chryslerized as i call it. i have run across all of the early Cherokee's with a 35 having a screw in plug. all the later ones with a rubber plug. cheaper to manufacture in the long run.the rubber plug is more prone to leak over time. the plug get dried out and hard.

rubber vs steel plug is probably the most confusing, least reliable way to recognize an axle I've ever heard.

The cover shape is 100% reliable. Just look for the half-round lip pressed into the edge of the cover on an 8.25, the straight top and bottom edges of the cover on the 8.25, or the oval cover with no straight edges anywhere on the d35.

Back