• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 4.56 gear upgrade question

Wesleye91

NAXJA Forum User
So im installing 4.56 gears on my Chrysler 8.25 read axle. Im having a hard time getting the pattern down. So far ive gone from .040 all the way down to no shims in .004 increments and cant get it. At .040 it looks like its too deep? The pattern on the drive side never changed from all the way into the valley to full up and down till .010. Not sure, hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

Coast at .040
20220304_193918.jpg

Drive at .040
20220304_193924.jpg

Coast at .010
20220304_225242.jpg

Drive at .010
20220304_225236.jpg

Your not getting a good pattern, two things:
1/ add some gear oil and mix it with your marking compound.
2/ spin the pinion with a socket on a drill, WHILE applying drag to ring gear with a rag and your hand on the outside of the ring gear (carefully, don’t let your hand get sucked into the gears)
Then repost what you get!

Listen to what xcm says.

He won't sugar coat anything for you, but it will be honest and accurate.

Make absolutly sure pinion races are seated.
Tourqe Main caps to spec every pattern you check
Dont look at side adjuster threads wrong or they fight you

Add a pile of shims or remove a pile and try again.

You have the baffle in?

My first 8.25 gear attemp turned into a molten chunk of metal skipping down the freeway at 65 as jeep tried to lurch off the rd.
I think because races settled in after some driving then loosened up mesh. That was a good learning experience second attemp has been going strong for a couple thousand miles

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

If your pattern is not noticeably changing, I would agree you're not getting a good pattern. I do my pattern checks by turning the ring/carrier by hand. It can be fatiguing, but yields a very good result. I don't touch the pinion, so long as preload is reasonable.

Are you setting your backlash each time you change your pinion depth?

When I said his pattern “wasnt good”, I was not commenting on his gear setup… I was commenting that his pattern wasn’t even readable. You can check a pattern however you like… but if you can’t see it, you can’t see it.
If your previous patterns looked like that, start over. Get good patterns and go from there.
You don’t just cover the teeth in yellow paint and spin it! Unless you enjoy wasting your time and getting frustrated!

When I said his pattern “wasnt good”, I was not commenting on his gear setup… I was commenting that his pattern wasn’t even readable. You can check a pattern however you like… but if you can’t see it, you can’t see it.

I'm sorry if my post is not 100% clear, but you're attempting to correct my agreement with your initial post. I just stated a 2nd way to turn the gears to leave a better marking.

Back