• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chris Bangle Replaced - Good Riddance

I've owned several BMW M cars and an '02 540i 6-speed, all Pre-Bangle. The "Bungle" era stuff has been horrible up to the 1-series and the new 3-series...he ruined the design department of the company IMO. As a side note, the newest cars weren't actually designed by Bungle; he became the BMW "company image designer" a couple years back...meaning he was responisble for pens, stationary, buildings, etc.

To me, his biggest failure is that he isn't a "car guy," something that BMW has always been about. I saw an awesome license plate the other day: PREBNGL :D

-----Matt-----

the problem for poor bangle was that he had to take over after the e39 was made. This is my modified e39 5 series.

CIMG1036.jpg

The newer generation (e60/61) 5 series are a whole world apart from their fore fathers. If you check the 5 series boards you see the e28, e34 and e39 guys are the enthusiasts who are driving/tracking/ building these cars. About all the newer M5s have going for them is the V10.

If I had to buy a brand new BMW tomorrow I would get the 335i 6 speed coupe or the V8 M3.

That looks really good!

I say good riddance. I can't stand his look. I too am a bmw fan. One of my favorite auto racing moments was watching a road racing 3.0csl and one of the 50 race version M1s go at it around Schenley Park in Pittsburgh at a Vintage Grand Prix--I have never heard a more glorious sound than those two. Hopefully by June I'll have the 95 Avus Blue M3 that I've wanted all these years.

E36 M3s are cool. I almost bought one instead of my S2000.

You have never worked on one have you. Been an bmw tech for 5 years and my project today is a NEW x5 that none of interior electrical works. They are junk!!!

Isn't the X-5 assembled in the US?

I'd probably never own any german car that costs enough to merit financing. But a lease on a toy car on the other hand; I might be into that after my salary picks up post-recession.

Bangle did ruin the 7 series and now the 5 series with the rear treatment. The z-4 just made the already-gay z-3 even gayer; there wasn't much to "ruin" IMO...

E36 M3s are cool. I almost bought one instead of my S2000.

agreed, hard to find a better performance car on the market, value wise

www.specM3.com is a new class we are promoting, hopefully to draw current track day junkies to door to door racing. our goal is to have 4 cars on track at the first event in April, and 6 - 8 cars by the end of the year. I am currently working on the rollcage for the 4th car under development.

Really fun cars to drive on track, and pretty docile at the limit.

Glad to hear Bangle has moved on, the last really sexy BMW in my eyes was the E30 M3 (actually the south african built 333i, which predated the E30 M3)

Isn't the X-5 assembled in the US?
Yes X5's and Z4 were made in south carolina. X5 still is and more models will be moving to that plant. What makes bangles designs even worse is that the car do not like to come apart to make repairs, bumpers have to come off to change a head light on some BMW's its a real pan.

Back