• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chirp when I drive

SteveT said:
Bingo. It's probably not even the u-joints so much as the centering joint in the CV portion. Searching "angry sparrow" will usually lead to the same resolution SteveT just posted.

Clean the centering ball post and look for wear. If it's not worn, grease it and replace the three u-joints in the driveshaft.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I had the same chirping noise. It was the centering ball in the front driveshaft. It wasn't worn but it wasn't lubed either. Gave me a good reason the put new ujoints in.

I went through this a couple of months ago with my 2000 XJ (then about 68,000 miles). It was tough to find. The dealer repalced the front u-joints which were worn, but the chirp continued. A local shop found it by dropping the front drive shaft and the chirp went away. Then they lubbed the hell out of the front axel and the chirp has been silenced. Nothing was worn or out of spec, just dry.

Back