• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy help

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2000 chevy truck with the 5.3 with 70k on the clock. I didnt notice before I purchased it but Im noticed tonight the the oil pressure is high. In park it idles a bit over the middle line but when I bring up the RPMs the oil pressure goes up almost to being pinned at about 80 psi. Im wondering if a bad sending unit could do this or if it will just be pinned all the time. I know the only way to be sure is to put a manual guage at the sender but I dont have one and its dark. Does anybody think that I shouldnt drive it till I find out for sure or will high pressure not hurt that much unless my filter fails (ie is blown off). I have noticed a small amount of oil around the filter but no major leaks. Is there anything else that could cause this. The motor was serviced every 3000 miles and they had the records to prove it. Any thoughts would help.

adam

put a manual gauge on it....replace sending unit if it reads different.....oil pump pressure bleed plungers do sieze some times....

eflores is right, the only way to be sure is a mechanical gauge. If the sender is bad, buy OEM at the dealership, most parts store senders seem a bit wonkey.

Do not remember about what the spec is on the oil pressure, but those things run really well. I do believe however that 99.5/2000 are the first year they had the GenIII 5.3L in their trucks. Higher pressure is better than no pressure.
BTW, those have probably the best front brakes I've ever seen. I dont know how they did it, but most of the front pads go for 100k easy if not more.

Back