• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy Cavalier: Water in intake

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
2004 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 auto

So, we had one of the worst rain storms I've ever seen here in AZ recently and the ole lady drove through some water... She hasn't been clear just How much but it seems like it was Deep, sigh.

The day it happened I went to pick her up after she called saying it wouldn't start. Before I got there she had thought it was the battery and was messing with the terminals. She had removed the intake hose to get to the terminals and told me a good 2 cups of water poured out of there... She said it started after she messed around with it but would idle roughly for a few seconds and die.

Flash forward to today, after having it towed home I pulled the plugs and cranked it a few times to try and get any water out. Changed the oil(no signs of water in the oil) and filter and found the air filter still soaked with water and the air box swamped too.

I dried everything that I could get to and after replacing the plugs and filter I tried to start and it just cranks but doesn't start. Before I go deeper into things is there anything in particular to look for in this case dealing with water sucked in, sensors maybe? I plan to do a compression test first and see what that tells me. Just seems odd that it went from at least starting to now just cranking and not starting. It cranks strong with no signs of distress(no vibration, back firing or anything else bad) at least, I am trying to be hopeful that its not totally shot.

Probably, check piston heights through the spark plug holes. Bent rods are common after large gulps of water.

Maybe there is just some electrical issue preventing it from running now....doesn't explain your compression numbers though.

Probably, check piston heights through the spark plug holes. Bent rods are common after large gulps of water.

Maybe there is just some electrical issue preventing it from running now....doesn't explain your compression numbers though.

Double checked the oil that I've had sitting in a clear container and sure enough, water sitting at the bottom of it.

I didn't see any signs of water in the engine bay that would have soaked anything electrical. Seems it just got sucked into the intake and as you noted, my compression numbers are very low regardless of any electrical issue that may or may not be there.

I pulled the valve cover real quick just to take a peek, no signs of trama there but I can't really see much. I am thinking you guys have been right to think the rings, bent rods or combination of the two. I think I can pull the oil pan easy enough on that car so I may do that next and see what I can see.

Not much help with the current issue, but something to check into. If you have comprehensive coverage talk to you insurance agent about it. They might cover it...

Back