• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee vs Wrangler

NitroDuck

NAXJA Forum User
I have a paper I have to write on the subject, wasnt my choice buy a friend of my in my english class chose to write why the Wrangler is better then the Cherokee, so I couldnt let him get away with this without any oposition so
I would like to get you guys thoughts on why the Cherokee is better then the Wrangler.

I have owned several Cherokees and am in the process of building a Comanche buggy with a LS1.
I have also rented Wranglers on numerous occasions while in Moab. Last October I had to rent a Wrangler Rubicon for the NAXJA Fall Fling. My impressions of the TJ/XJ question is that the XJ is definately for me! The short wheel base of the Wrangler beats the crap outa of you. The XJ is a MUCH smoother ride. It is also a lot better off road in rough terrain than the CJ/YJ/TJs because the longer wheelbase allows for better traction while climbing over things. The one disadvantage of the XJ is that it has a space frame and not a seperate frame like the Wranglers. This makes it more difficult to attach after market parts .

Wranglers are for girls, or men that wish they were born as girls. Plain and simple.

They have a frame, but it is not too stout. They need help keeping from cracking as well. They are limited in room, limited comfort. Wheelbase... sometimes it works for them, sometimes against, just like ant rig.

They are cute, and even better when driven by a hot chick. Thats about it for me. :)

Wranglers are chick magnets, just ask my son, some of his courses involve field trips to various nature parks and stuff. He's in seventh heaven when the chicks fight to ride with him, good for the ego :laugh3:

We got both XJ's and TJ's and its like the old saw, which is better 69 or 99 :gag:

NitroDuck said:
I have a paper I have to write on the subject, wasnt my choice BUY a friend of BY in my english class chose to write why the Wrangler is better then the Cherokee, so I couldnt let him get away with this without any oposition so
I would like to get YOU guys thoughts on why the Cherokee is better then the Wrangler.

The xj has a longer wheel base.
The xj looks cooler.
The xj has more room in it.
It's NAXJA not NAYJA or NATJA.
The xj has a uni-body(oh wait don't put that as a plus)

On a side note, if it is an english paper, Spell Check works great!

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned, the wheelbase helps out a lot in the ride department. I've never owned or dirven a Wrangler, but 2 of my previous rigs were short-wheelbase types and they were rougher than my XJ. I couldn't pack a weekend's worth of stuff for me and my wife and daughter into either of them and I'm sure it wouldn't fit in a Wrangler. Its a tight fit into my XJ, but it all goes.While they're enoying the sun, sand and wind off-road, we get to relax in a climate-controlled environment - well some of us, Beezil and Farmer Matt with the Cat (hey that rhymed)excluded. And you're not driving the same rig as every frat and sorority member in the world...:D

No Body Lifts!

Y'all are so far off-base it isn't even funny. Everyone knows that hardcore wheelers run Kia Sportages.

if it starts to rain, ya just gotta roll the window up instead of messing with a top

What about unlimiteds? Time will tell I guess how they stack up to a cherokee in the wheeling Dept. Having the same wheelbase as a cherokee but full coils and a frame...I dunno...If I was looking for a new rig I might look in that direction. Thing about XJs is though....They are CHEAP! Can't buy a Unlimited for 1500 bucks with a lift already on it.

XJ wheelers wheel with out mud inside the rig and all over them
XJ wheelers wheel in air conditioned, leather, powerseated enviroments
XJ's came with carpit as standard - (was an option that about all but 3 TJ's had, but still an option from the factory)

More room for people like me that are 6'4"...

NitroDuck said:
I have a paper I have to write on the subject, wasnt my choice buy a friend of my in my english class chose to write why the Wrangler is better then the Cherokee, so I couldnt let him get away with this without any oposition so
I would like to get you guys thoughts on why the Cherokee is better then the Wrangler.

Every vehicle was designed for a purpose. In order to write a paper on why one vehicle is better than another you will need to have an application in mind.

The Cherokee was designed for the ranch owner who wanted a nice comfortable dual purpose vehicle. As such, it fits the bill well. It is comfortable, holds more stuff, tows well, gets reasonable gas milage, and with a few minor modifications, is just as home off-road. In fact, many Cherokee owners are astounded at the off-road capabilities of a stock unit.

The Wrangler is a decendant of the MJs of WWII whose strong point was off-road and not comfort. In stock form, it is very at home off-road. Ride on the leaf sprung units left alot to be desired. The coil sprung units ride much better, but IMO not up to XJ quality.

Zuki-Ron said:
The Wrangler is a decendant of the MJs of WWII...

HUH!? What? MJ is a pickup truck, Comanche, based on the XJ platform, from '86-'92. You are thinking of the MB's, I think.

Danno said:
I have owned several Cherokees and am in the process of building a Comanche buggy with a LS1.

Dan,
How's that project going? Got any pics?
Jeff

XJ_ranger said:
XJ wheelers wheel with out mud inside the rig and all over them
Damn it, I knew I was doing something wrong...note to self: close windows next time I pull a friend outta the mud...still got mud on my door panels..
XJ_ranger said:
XJ wheelers wheel in air conditioned, leather, powerseated enviroments
No leather or powerseats, but mine's a sport, so I guess its more sporty without :D

I guess I'm a girl. And I might as well leave my TJ at home next time so someone with an XJ can show me how its done. I guess some of those full size trucks, Bronco's, Toys, Rovers, etc. that I've helped and been helped down the trail by should just stay home as well.
I've wheeled both, among others and every vehicle has its strong points. #1 being the driver. Next time you get stuck with your lifted, locked whatever and the next guy in line makes a clean pass with his stock whatever, think about what makes it better.
And in your paper, leave out the part about the unibody cracking everywhere if it gets used hard. And the part about the TJ frame which is probably stronger than all the SWB frames prior to the YJ stacked on top of each other.
Stock for stock, any of the Jeeps are very silmilar in wheeling conditions. When it comes to specs like breakover angles and ramp approach and dep. they all are very close in real world use. I built a test track at work to demonstrate the Jeeps to potential customers. For the most part they all dragged their bellies and rockers and bumpers in the same places. And a WJ with Quadra drive could often be driven succesfully around the course in bad conditions easier than a TJ by a novice driver. And for the KJ haters, the Liberty does just as well on that course.

Back