• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee No start

langer1 said:
That don't sound like the CPS, what cover are you talking about? The CPS is on the bell housing.
CPS? Crank Position Sensor? If so just forget everything I said Cavalry and go with this.

(sorry, I love my distributor, so easy to fix, and I'm not used to distributorless technology yet.)

langer1 said:
That don't sound like the CPS, what cover are you talking about? The CPS is on the bell housing.

cps drivers side upper to middle bell housing.. 3 wires, has a plastic cap about 2x2 to the rear of the sensor. you can pop the cap and inspect the clearance from the sensor to the pickup ring

Foto4x4 said:
What I mean is that if the ignition system was removed and the crankshaft moved, the pistons will be out of order with the firing sequence. Since you have no distributor I can not be sure setting the #1 cylinder to Top Dead Center is required. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I would think that the cam posistion sensor (old dist location) would be the reference point for the ignition system? Got me though, just guessing.

Last edited:
Cavalry said:
I would think that the dist sensor (old dist location) would be the reference point for the ignition system? Got me though, just guessing.
Actually the ECU uses both. It can run without the CMZ but not the CPS.

Cavalry said:
I would think that the cam posistion sensor (old dist location) would be the reference point for the ignition system? Got me though, just guessing.

I was realizing that the coil rail (coil pack) would require some sort of sensor that monitors were the pistons are (whether it be on the cam or crank) so it knows when to fire the spark plug. Since, as stated before, I am not familiar with the 00 ignirtion setup, I just assume that the sensor is the problem; as others have previously said, because it does explain your problem.

I'm trying to learn from this thread as well.

FMI- is CPS cam or crank sensor?

well I should have just kept pluggin with my original idea that it was the crank sensor. Sensor has 2 bolts that hold in in, one had come loose allowing the sensor to move ever so slightly. Would not pick up the signal.
After that was fixed there was only a few minor gremlens to chase down.
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Back