• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee from USA

kkerem

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I sold my cherokee and want to buy new one. The problem is that cherokees here in Estonia aren't very popular cars. One thing is that here are few cars for sale and the other thing is that they are quite expencive or badly maintained.

If you can please post here some sites, where I can look used cherokees.

Thank you,

Kasper from Estonia

Thank you. I know that some estonians are selling cars here stright from USA. So I liked to know how is the price range there. So I got my information.

Thanks again

What paperwork and fees would you have when importing a vehicle into Estonia? If you bought it from let's say, Germany, would you have to pay any extra to drive it home - other than the cost of gas?

The place in container costs around 1000$ (from Usa to Estonia). Next thing is EU tax which is around 10% of price. Also I have to pay extra tax 18% because I register it on my company. And registration tax is alsoit is around 200$.

But buying a car from there... You can bring also parts from USA where they are way cheaper. So it makes 200-300$ shipping and other you can collect back :viking:

The price here is around 3000$ for 1989 cherokee.

Re: cherokee from US

Is it really economical to import the car though? Lets say you find a good 1991 model for $1500. I have seen both lower and higher prices. You may have to pay local sales tax on it so thats $1600. Add $1000 for shipping, possibly more for port, handling and document fees. $2600, add the EU import tax (which if I'm not mistaken get applied to the total cost of bringing it there) so $2860 and with the registration your exceed the original $3000 price. Of course you may find a better vehicle and buy spare parts here but it wouldn't make sense to spend money and travel here to buy a car unless you had other things to do in America or are planning on buying a larger number of vehicles at auction. I would suggest looking at other european countries where you can also find the diesel models and avoid the shipping costs and taxes. Good luck.

Look at www.mobile.de and ebay.de, XJ's are cheap here right now. Between the tax on the motor dispalcement (cubic centimeters), the tax on off road vehicles or SUV's, the insurance pegged to horsepower (and SUV) and the price of gas. You can find some really good deals. What was $3000 a couple of years ago, is $800-$1000 today. The purchase prIce is kind of irrelevant, the fees (Vieh pronounced "fee" in german meaning, beast) kills you here in Germany. There are a lot of XJ,s for sale in Germany, the vast majority are 4.0 liter Limiteds, top of the line.
A middle grade (under 200,000 kilometers) pre 91 was between $2000 and $3000, two years ago. A mint (really nice) 95-96 $5000-$9000.
The price for YJ's has remained fairly constant. CJ's have gone up.
Cash is king, if you buy here in Germany, the seller will probably put any price you'd like on the bill of sale. Import duties are typically between 10-16% of the purchase price. If you get an XJ in Germany , with valid tax and inspection stickers, you can do a title change and drive it home.

You might also want to look at www.asp-eberle.com (Germany) for parts. They arn't the cheapest (but way cheaper than the dealership), and they are quick. The ASP stands for as soon as possible. These guys are quick and I've never asked for anything yet, they didn't have on the shelf and shipped the same day. I've had next day delivery many times, without asking for express. For you, it would probably be two-three day delivery, depending on how good the local Post Office is. They ship pretty much world wide daily.

DrMoab said:
Come on dude...I was trying to initiate a conversation with our new foreign friend.
Okay. For minute there I thought maybe you didn't know that Estonia was right across the river from Wstonia.
rofl2.gif

Okay, bad joke. I know! :D

Poland probably has some cheap XJ's, if you aren't too particular about the paperwork and ancestery. They do a pretty good job of phony titles and VIN modification there. They usually sell them in Russia or the Ukrain. Just never bring it back into Germany, they do a fair job of recovering stolen vehicles. One of the few places, that checks them coming and going. If you buy one in Germany, don't try and take back any excess liquor or anything, you'll likely be stopped to check the paperwork on the XJ.

Back