• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Rear Tow Hooks...

Juggernaut

NAXJA Forum User
So I was tired of not having a rear recovery point, so here is what a friend of mine (Ceejus) and I came up with. He pulled these hooks off from the front of a S-10 Blazer/S-15 Jimmy at the local yank and grab for like $4. Here is what they look like.

3888274332_9e800297c9_b.jpg

The holes almost line up perfectly in the "frame" rail to be a direct bolt on, but not quite. So I opened her up just a touch.

3888275690_bd9c9babb0_b.jpg

Then I slipped/forced the back plate into the rail...

3888274814_aa66eee5b0_b.jpg

I got the holes all lined up and started threading the bolts.

3888275024_e7e49d7ae8_b.jpg

Here is what it looked like all bolted up...

3887482075_6feb9d6fde_b.jpg

Finally, here is a shot from the back.

3888320584_a0dde2644e_o.jpg

As you can see, these things tuck up in there nice and tight. I was pretty impressed with the outcome, especially for the price. I just ordered some shackle relocation brackets from H.D. Offroad, so they will probably be a quarter inch lower here shortly. It sure beats paying $160 for a hitch!

Yeah, I've got no worries. Obviously yanking on one of the rails isn't ideal, but I am usually just the trail running lame-o type. I figure they will work for now until I do in fact get a hitch. Besides, with those 1/4" plate shackle brackets soon going on, they will disperse some of the load more evenly on the rail. I can't wait to get my hands on those!

You don't need shackle brakets, you need to replace those inverted springs. I wouldn't use that hook set up, anymore than I would a simular setup if it was in the front. Get a reciever hitch at the JY.

I wouldnt trust those, not untill you had plateing on the frame or put it on a bracket to grab all the hitch holes on that side, hitches are cheap at the junkyard.

Throw those hooks away. Do they hit your shackle bolt?

just my .02, but I'd politely refuse to pull you with those or be pulled by you with those.

Back