• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Jerry Cans?

I went to the Home Despot last night to look at drills. I was picking them up to see how heavy and how the grip felt and the guy came to me and said

"You need to put that back."

I asked him "What do you mean?"

He then said "Well we don't allow customers to hold the drills."

I then asked him "How the hell am I supposed to know which one I want to buy?"

"Well you look at the tag to see the specs on the drill."

I handed him the drill and left...

That was simply amazing. He must have been new he wasn't much older than me (24) so I have no idea about their policy. Seems to me they won't make that many sales that way though.

csm

BlackXJ4x4 said:
I went to the Home Despot last night to look at drills. I was picking them up to see how heavy and how the grip felt and the guy came to me and said

"You need to put that back."

I asked him "What do you mean?"

He then said "Well we don't allow customers to hold the drills."

I then asked him "How the hell am I supposed to know which one I want to buy?"

"Well you look at the tag to see the specs on the drill."

I handed him the drill and left...

That was simply amazing. He must have been new he wasn't much older than me (24) so I have no idea about their policy. Seems to me they won't make that many sales that way though.

csm

Why do you keep going back there?

CASM...
sorry man.
honestly i didn't even think about explosions...but like i said i am lazy sometimes and it may get me killed...lol.
glad you liked the idea and even happier you did the research to find out how safe it is. i should advise to anybody using muriatic acid that it is dangerous...
my co-worker used it to clean some model-T parts and so i just kinda stole the idea and made it bigger! lol
nice.

At my work we sell the Blitz cans. I dont remember the $ but I know I can get them a bit cheaper. I do recommend staying awy from the plastic nozzle and going with the flex metal "donkey dick" nozzles.

biscuitboy87 said:
honestly i didn't even think about explosions...but like i said i am lazy sometimes and it may get me killed...lol.

Oh, no worries :) This actually gives me a chance to finish off the story.

The fire department called me back and said that they couldn't give me a letter, but that since what I wanted to do was essentially safe, I should go back to Home Depot and instruct them to call Sherri at the Fire Prevention Office if they had any problems with shaking the cans.

Back to the store: I walk into the paint department carrying the cans. The girl behind the counter looks at me and says, "oh, yeah, they said you'd be coming." Interesting, since I hadn't called them. At this point I picked up a quart of liquid rust remover (they were out of Rust Reformer that day) and a bag of half-inch nuts. Leaving the cans at the paint counter, I hit the self-service checkout to pay for my items.

Back at the paint counter, half the rust remover and half the nuts were put in each can. Gave them both a good shake and swirl as the customers looked on, perplexed.

The manager came back over to me as all this was going on. "OK, I know you called the fire department and got the go-ahead on this because they called *us* the day after you left and said this was safe. I still don't like it, and we won't take any liability for damage."

"Fine by me." I hold the cans out to him. "Could you load these up for me? Store policy doesn't let customers operate the paint shaker."

With an annoyed little snort, he takes the cans. "Certainly."

He then spends the next fifteen minutes trying to fit them in the shaker. They're too tall to stand on end, stick out the end if laid flat, and can't be wedged in at an angle. Finally, he gives up and brings them back to me with another condescending smile. "Gee, sorry. I guess we aren't going to be able to help you. Maybe you'll be able to work something else out."

"Yeah, looks like I'll just have to throw them in the back of the Jeep and drive down a dirt road. Oh well, thanks anyway." Taking the cans back and walking out, I noticed that his expression went from one of smug satisfaction to something along the lines of sheer annoyance.

One trip three miles down a dirt road and back with the cans laid flat (flipped over at the halfway point) and a run to the pressure wash later, they were pretty thoroughly de-rusted inside from what I was able to see. Home Despot had also had a lesson in fire safety, which made me feel all happy inside.

glad you liked the idea and even happier you did the research to find out how safe it is.

Honestly... It struck me as being pretty safe off the bat. The only reason I bothered to go to this much effort was that I just didn't feel like letting a little bastard like that manager walk all over me on it. Besides, anything solution that elegant pretty much was *begging* me to try it :D

One interesting thing I did learn from the FD: dry ice is pretty good at defuming gas cans. It didn't get it 100%, but 5lbs. per can crushed and dropped in did make a substantial dent in the smell. There's a whole other story about that and a panicky downstairs neighbour, but I'll save that one for another time...

Anyway, thanks for the idea - and the fringe benefit of being able to prove a Home Despot employee wrong :)

Back