• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed head gasket and have questions 94 grad cherokee

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
94 grand cherokee, 4.0 6cyl auto trans
i changed the head gasket. the first thing i did wrong is I forgot to drain the coolant, so when i tore down the head there was alot of coolant to clean up.. after putting the new head gasket., i was assembling everything and when i got to the Manifold I put the new gasket positioned the exhaust on the dowels and then the intake... i got all the screw on with the washers there are nine of them and 2 bolts that go onto threads that come out of the block itself: you can see it next to the dowels on this forum:
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?p=348572#post348572
(scroll down)
anyway i had a buddy put those last 2 bolts on and guess what!
yup he broke the thread off that comes out of the engine its the one in the front of the engine you can see what im talking about in the pic.
anyway i was almost done when he told me so i assembled everything and put alot of gasket sealant around the hole where the threads broke and i made sure to stuff the hole with some sealant also, at first when i started it i had high idle so i made sure all hoses were right and tighted where neccessary and i made sure to have sealant all around where the thread broke at the exhause manifold.
After startig it again here was no more high idle but the valves are noisey since i know thats not outta the normal i didnt think nothing of it but when i put it into gear the jeeps vibes violently and its hard to accelerate it doesnt seem to go past the 30mph mark and thats really stepping on the peddle..? im stumped please help!

these are the codes just not sure what it all means!
[SIZE=-1]12[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]13[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the barometric (atmosphere) pressure reading from start-up. [/SIZE]

It means exactly what it means. PCM had no power at some point within the last 50 time you turned the key. Your manifold pressure gauge which is on your intake manifold is reading the same pressure as the atmospheric pressure. Basically, you have a gigantic leak.

I guessing its from the exhaust stud my buddy broke off in the front of the engine smh...
so i guess its drilling the broken bolt out and replacing with a similar bolt?

hey guys i have another question if code 13 means i have a gigantic vacuum leak..? why when i started the jeep and sprayed carb cleaner i didnt hear the jeeps idle change at all and i made sure to spray all around the intake and exhaust area i also sprays all vacuum hoses i could see... and no high idle?
the engine also threw me another code #14 the map sensor is getting to much or to low voltage? does this mean the map is bad and if so could this b it!!!!!

just for information purposes the problem ended up being a bad map sensor and thew noisey engine was my valves falling apart.
note: bringing the engine to TDC before seating and torqing down the rocker really helped seat all the components.
thanks for anyones responses!

Back