• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chances of finding a 4.10 LS 8.25

RTownsend

NAXJA Forum User
I was set on ordering a No-Slip for my D35 but thought since I'm down a little on power from a roof rack and 235's (soon to be 31's) that now is the time to upgrade to an 8.25.

I know that the 4.10's came in the 4 cylinder XJ's but how many of those came with the LS? What's the easiest way to tell if the axle is a LS in the Junk Yard?

Limited slip was an option, and probably few dealers and even fewer special order purchasers bothered to put a limited slip into a base model XJ.

In a junk yard, first look for a tag, or if you don't see anything just rotate one wheel (or brake drum). If the other one turns in the same direction, it has a limited slip. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, either it doesn't have a trac-lok, or it doesn't work.

I was afraid of that.

Maybe I can at least find an open 97+ 8.25 with 4.10s.

Thanks, I think the 4.10's will be a big improvement over my 3.55's. I just hope it isn't geared to low with my current 235's. They have a lot of life left.

4,11 gearing is usually only found in four-cylinder XJ's.

Check out this link: http://www.4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=644 It tells us that the Chrysler 8.25" is only found in XJ's from 91-01, in two different versions.

Also, the "rotate one wheel"-test isn't fool proof, if the gearbox is a manual and in gear or it's an auto in park the driveshaft won't rotate, and the other wheel will turn the other way anyway. However, an open diff will usually rotate very easily, so that if you spin a wheel it will keep spinning for a while, while the other one's spinning the other way. If the brakes aren't dragging that is... whit a limited slip, there will be some resistance, the wheels won't keep spinning by themselves that way.

But the No-Slip and a limited slip is two very different things! I think I would go for the D35 and no-slip instead, if you're going to do some offroading. (I broke my D35, but that was the spider gears, which the no-slip replaces)

Do you have to abuse the D35 to break it or is the housing the weak link? I'm easy on equipment and typically won't try to go places that only momentum will take me.

Me too, my spider gears broke in my driveway, after one week of mild offroading (mostly sand), mostly idleing around. But I had no friction modifier in my tracklock, that may have killed it.. ? I thought it was so old and worn out that it wouldn't work anyway. But it worked, chirped tires on dry land. I've also read that the track-lok carrier and spider gears are weaker than the open D35. Replacing it with a no-slip now anyway.

I found out why my diff crashed, I think. Got the tip from a mechanic for a camaro racing driver, they had been experimenting with limited slips and the amount of friction modifier additive, to get the most grip from the LSD. He said that with too little friction modifier, i.e. mostly normal diff. fluid, the diff broke. Not the clutches, but the gears/carrier. Well, I drove mine with normal oil, I guessed it would be so old and worn that it wouldn't matter, but it really worked when I got to drive it, but I didn't bother adding friction modifier as I thought the only thing would happen would be that the clutches would wear out very fast, which I didn't care about. Well, after exactly one week of driving my spider gears crashed. I learned something! :)

Amund2 said:
I've also read that the track-lok carrier and spider gears are weaker than the open D35. Replacing it with a no-slip now anyway.

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but within the past week I read that the Trac-Lok carrier is stronger than the open carrier. Since I can't remember the source, the info may be SPOBI, but in any case I'm certain the Trac-Lok is not weaker than an open carrier.

Well, I just read the opposite, but the net is really just people talking, and one never know how they know. ;)

Anyway, I'm guessing that my diff broke because of lack of friction modifier, i.e. too much friction, as that camaro mechanic had tried it. It makes me a lot less concerned about fixing my D35 and using it again... I'm sure it will hold up this time. (however with a no-slip inside)

I was on the DC website last evening looking at the Liberty. They do come with an 8.25, 4.10 and LS. How different are they from the XJ 8.25? Well, I will let someone else answer that. By-the-way, some of them also have the 3.73 in the 8.25. :)

Back