• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centex gear place??

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
well i think my pinion bearing is going out :mad: on my jeep so i need to get it check/ get my gears locker put in :looney:. does anyone know of a good place in the austin area that does gears? i was going to try austin drivetrain, but i just wanted to get everyones opinion on it as well before i go and make a final decision. thanks!!

just got off the phone with atomic and ouch that its a major dent in the wallet. ill call around to some more places and if nothing else then ill go to them since they helped us out. if yall know of any others lmk thanks again.

I've heard that theres a place in Lampasas thats cheap. Don't recall the name. If I do, I'll let you know.

well it looks like its going to austin drivetrain. atomic 4x4 counldn't do it in the time i needed it. i would have taken it there otherwise. my brother used austin drivetrain on a zj years ago and they did a good job. ill let yall know the outcome.

well i took it to the shop. i guess my tcase has exploded. there was a hole and some cracks in it. also there was no oil in it. so they want 750 for a case and that doesnt include labor or oil. how hard is it to swap a t-case?? that and the pinion bearing is loose.

Swapping the T-case is easy stuff... man if you could find a good used one I could have it completely swapped in about an hour or two. You just need a new/used t-case, and the gasket that goes between it and tranny. I did it on a buddy of mine's XJ. Found the TC online for $150 shipped, and swapped it in as soon as it came in.

ya i figured as much. do you just need mainly hand tools or are there any specialty tools needed as well? thanks for you help btw.

I don't recall needing anything more than hand tools. I didn't even use a jack. I just unbolted the linkage, driveshaft, and then the bolts that hold it to the tranny. Then just grab onto it, and slide the shaft out of the Transmission, and kind of bench press it down and set it on the ground. To reinstall do the opposite order.

I have a 21 spline 231 with a small chip in the front case half and the fluid that came out of it was pink, let me know if you want it. BTW, take off driveshafts, unbolt t-case linkage, remove 6 nuts holding it to the transmission, remove case. Its easy.

Back