• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Pin for RuffStuff Perches

banderso

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning to burn my RuffStuff perches onto my 8.8 this weekend, but have a quick question. My leaf springs have a 3/8" center pins with 9/16" heads. The holes in the RuffStuff perches are about 30 thousandths (haven't measured accurately) larger than the center pin heads. I haven't head of this mentioned in any of the 8.8 write-ups I've read. So I figure my options are.

1) Drill the leaves to fit a larger pin which will have a larger head. Can I just take a drill to it, or do I need to put the leaf pack in a drill press or mill?

2) Machine a spacer. I could make something on the lathe.

3) Look for 3/8" center pin/bolt with a larger head. Any idea where I would find this?

3) Call it good. Figure the fit is good enough and throw everything together. A winter or two in Michigan and the gap will fill solid with rust anyway. I'm skeptical of this, but could be convinced. How big of a gap would be acceptable here?

What would you do? What did you do if you did an 8.8 swap? What kind of fit are you supposed to have between the center pin and the perch? Thanks.

I would go to the hardware store and buy a grade 8 bolt that is the right diameter for the springs and just grind the head into round... thats what I did when I added shims and found my RE center pins were totally bent.

I would not leave a gap in there, and drilling leaves is a PITA.

if you do decide to drill the leaves for a larger pin, use a masonry bit.

Problem is, I believe a 3/8" bolt has a head that is 9/16" across the flats. So if I grind it to a circle I will be right back where I am now. I could just round off the corners of the hex head. It would give a tight fit but would still leave gaps. Seems kind of questionable.

I have heard the masonry bit mentioned before. Have you enlarged the center pin hole? Did you use a regular
drill, or pull the spring pack off and use a drill press?

I guess I'm leaning towards making a spacer on the lathe, but hoping someone will convince me I don't have to go through the trouble.

run it. the centering pins should see no load in any way if your u-bolts are torqued/installed correctly. they're only real job is to set the axle in straight before installing the u-bolts.

Factory spring pins have alot more slack than that in the stock perches,dont worry about it!

Factory spring pins have alot more slack than that in the stock perches,dont worry about it!

I'd probably agree with this and say FIRI.

But if you want more beef, I drilled my MJ leaves out for 7/16" socket cap screws using a carbide-tipped masonry bit. I bought like 2-3 of them and used basically one bit per pack. Made real short work of them (6 leaves per pack).

21/32" diameter round head. Drilled the perches for them and haven't had an issue yet with 40" tires and deep gearing.

Back