• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CD player install and Ideas

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just brought home my new (to me) XJ!:party:
It came with the cassette and AM/FM radio... I need a CD player to cruise in the new beast! Sorry if this is a redundant thread, But i searched around, and didnt find anything.

What im curious about is swapping in a factory CD player. I would like to run more powerfull door speakers and a subwoofer to that compartment in the rear. Anyone run amps off the factory CD player? Or should I just go for one of them flashy, one-dim flip down face deals!?

My experiance with auto audio is rather strong, but, I have always ran off those one-din things... I like to keep the factory look if i could. I think the main thing is finding a NON-pre-amp output. Let me know! Thanks!

-Kevin

Well if you want to run a more powerful setup, you will probably need a new one-din setup.

Otherwise you could swap in a newer 2-din out of a WJ perhaps?

Getting a stock head-unit to work well with what your trying to do wont be easy...

Best buy is going to have a sale on black friday for a nice pioneer deck and a pair of 6.5" speakers for 89$

Get a wiring harness plug for it or carefully desolder the connector off the interface board in the back of the stock unit, I hate seeing people hack up the harnesses in their XJs to install audio gear and it's so cheap/easy to avoid doing so

Get a wiring harness plug for it or carefully desolder the connector off the interface board in the back of the stock unit, I hate seeing people hack up the harnesses in their XJs to install audio gear and it's so cheap/easy to avoid doing so

Thats why I posted that one, crutchfield ships the scoche harness adapter free with every system they sell.

The wiring harness makes life soo much easier...

Thats why I posted that one, crutchfield ships the scoche harness adapter free with every system they sell.
Oh, I didn't click your link. Oops :dunce:

X2 on what Rich said then!

Thanks rich for the link to that one. That is a great deal with the built in blue-tooth!

I am really hoping to find something not so flashy. I was looking at the stock Infinity Gold stereos, but not sure how to amplify them. I do really like the blue-tooth idea, as using cellphones in the car is dangerous, and now illegal in some states! Hard to do with manual shift anyhow...

My jeep is 97 btw. Every year me and some friends get in line at our local BestBuy a few hours before they open. Hopefully they have something good on sale (like that pioneer deck)... How do you know that this early anyway?? I was on the site, and didn't see any car decks.

If you get a stereo with a fairly mild amp built in (say 50 watts per channel or so) I'm pretty sure that's about as much as you'll want anyways, the stock speakers aren't really designed to deal with a lot of watts AFAIK. I may be completely wrong on this though.

While I like the bluetooth and have it in 2 of our 4 jeeps I really like the USB port, I no longer carry CD's, all my music goes on 4 or 8 gig memory sticks or I plug a 300gb laptop hard drive in.

Had some spare time yesturday, so i decided to spiff-up the sounds bar in the rear
DSC_0140.jpg

I had the speakers layin around, so I thought, why not. Got rid of some tan along the way haha. Even with just the stock stereo, they sound good, just no bass.

The line level converters look interesting, im trying to find out more about them. I had never seen them before. Going to go get the black friday paper and see if there are any good stereo decks selling at BestBuy or some place!! Happy thanksgiving!!

Back