• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV Parts at NAPA ("blowby" fix)

does anyone know if this can be accomplished without removing the valve cover?

need some help with this...

tried to remove the front CCV elbow and the brittle old plastic piece broke on me, i can't get it out, there's some sort of grommet around it.

Do I need to remove the valve cover to finish this?

thanks.

You do not need to remove the valve cover to get the gromets out. Just force the gromet all the way to one side as far as you can, then slip a small screwdriver down past the bottom edge of the lower lip. Pry up and it will pop right out. Just be careful you don't scratch the aluminum edge of the hole when you slide the screwdriver in.

I just replaced these on my 87. The 715-1365 has changed since I installed this on my 90 XJ three years ago. This kit is the small tube and gromet that connects to the rear of the valve cover. Three years ago I got a gromet with the small metering hole at the bottom (FSM says 2.6 MM), like the OEM part. The one I just installed on my 87 has no metering hole in the gromet. The valve cover end of the hose has a slight restriction, that will probably pass 5x the volume of air as the OEM gromet. I cleaned and saved the old gromet, just in case there is too much flow. (I don't know how I would know there is too much flow, but I saved the damn gromet anyway.)

I replaced the back gromment with a PCV valve and the front with a 90 degree to the airbox. I still get a little oil. It breathes very well, I think I did not clean the valve cover good enough. I thought it looked pretty clean.

I have done this a few times to a couple different Renix XJs I have owned, and would suggest that you should pull the valve cover. On the last one I did, the baffles were filthy and clogged, especially the rear one (as was the rest of the stuff under there. Replacing the hoses won't do any good if the baffles are clogged shut.

Your cover leaks anyway. :laugh3: Go ahead and pull it, clean it up, and reinstall.

As far as I have read here and talked to my Jeep tech buddies you should not have a PCV valve anywhere. The CCV system is an open system and a PCV is not used or needed. One XJ I bought had one on the front side (aftermarket) and so did not breath at all and just puked oil in the air box. Also, replacing the valve cover gasket is a good idea and very easy on these as the pressure built up by a clogged system tends to blow out the back of the motor and looks like a bad rear seal. Put your hand back there (when cool) and see if wet or sticky oil is there. While the valve cover is off clean the baffles as they also get clogged. If you take care of all these it should be fine.
mcnamaag that's one clean renix!

88xjlover said:
......Also, replacing the valve cover gasket is a good idea and very easy on these as the pressure built up by a clogged system tends to blow out the back of the motor and looks like a bad rear seal. Put your hand back there (when cool) and see if wet or sticky oil is there. While the valve cover is off clean the baffles as they also get clogged. If you take care of all these it should be fine.
mcnamaag that's one clean renix!

That's a good idea...about checking the valve cover. I have been looking harder at my Renix...and after poking through the oil drips, I'm not so sure that it's a rear main going bad after all. I was leaning more towards that oil filter adapter O ring, but haven't the foggiest idea how to check that out.

Strangest thing...seems that my Jeep leaks 200% more at night, vs. daytime. I can get home at noon, go check the Jeep at 9-10PM, and there's a small puddle (2-3 drips). When I go out at 7AM, there's a friggin puddle the size of your head on the ground.............but still, not a whole lot of oil in the air filter. Maybe this is the next thing to throw money at.....

And I concur. That is a damn clean Renix!! Looks kinda ricer-iffic with the bright blue hoses, too....blue=high-tech, y'know....:yelclap:

This is what I did. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...72_14_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...672_9_full.jpg
First the main problem with this issue is the plugged CCV system.
Second is the way the baffles are designed in the valve cover. They aren't really baffles at all they are more like tubes that go down to the top of the head where the oil pools in the top of the head. The problem is made worse from the oil returns being a little pluged up and not allowing the oil to drop out of the head as fast as when new. With the setup I am running I have no oil coming out of either of the grommets what so ever. But the Quadratec Cover only has baffle plates over the grommets not the tubes. If you do get the Quad Cover then make sure you tap the baffle plate screw holes with an 8-32 plug tap and use 1/4" machine screws. The 1/4" wood screws that are sent with the cover are a Joke! They will fall out. Hell mine wouldn't even get the baffle tight when I went to test fit everything.

TORX said:
NAPA has almost everything I go there for everything i too just replaced my CCV system an purchased it at NAPA

NAPA = Good

TORX

My retirement plan thanks you.

Dont mean to bring up an old thread but this is the thread ive been looking for!!!!!! and was wanting to know. Im headed up to Napa in the morning to get all three parts and was wondering if everything will hook right up on my 88. also gonna pick up a Valve cover gasket and make a day of it on monday and do everything. im so excited i dont have to be ripped off by the stealership anymore!!!!! :)

Good discussion, but what about those gaskets for the baffels in the cover? what do you do about them when they break aparts? Where do you get them? The Stealership?

Just get some Cork and cut your own. If your not replacing the whole valve cover then you should cut about an inch off of those things cause all they do is suck up oil.

Is there enough room for a breather on the front of the valve cover? I think the hood comes down too far. If that does work though, don't forget to plug the hole in the airbox for that port.

Just an update. I bought all the stuff from Napa and installed it. Now here we are 6 mos later and it's coming apart. Should've listened to the guy with the cool blue hoses and made my own.

sjx40250 said:
Good discussion, but what about those gaskets for the baffels in the cover? what do you do about them when they break aparts? Where do you get them? The Stealership?

Cork, or thick gasket paper should do neatly.

If you need to really clean your valve cover, you should probably pull your baffles off. If you're not caked with sludge and crud, you can probably leave them be (I don't use Pennzoil or QS - worst offenders for sludge! - so when I've got my valve cover off, carburettor cleaner and a toothbrush will usually serve.)

5-90 said:
Cork, or thick gasket paper should do neatly.

If you need to really clean your valve cover, you should probably pull your baffles off. If you're not caked with sludge and crud, you can probably leave them be (I don't use Pennzoil or QS - worst offenders for sludge! - so when I've got my valve cover off, carburettor cleaner and a toothbrush will usually serve.)

Two questions in response. Can you get away with just using black or copper RTV here, or do you have to replace the gaskets?

Remove the baffles completely? (They are already cleaned and ready to install) Or just cut them back a little bit as previously posted?

Thanks

Muad'Dib said:
Two questions in response. Can you get away with just using black or copper RTV here, or do you have to replace the gaskets?

Remove the baffles completely? (They are already cleaned and ready to install) Or just cut them back a little bit as previously posted?

Thanks

It's just oil, and no pressure, so you can probably use RTV if you're careful. However, using gasket paper would be preferred (if only to try to preserve spacing/placement of the baffle, and preserve airflow as close to OEM as possible.)

I took the baffles off and the flapper inside is angled a certain way when i put it back together problem is i cant remember which was was angle which way. Or does it matter? I found two gaskets on both of them on underneat the lil copper flapper and one on top. My new gasket paper is thicker should i just replace with one. Any help would be good help

Back