• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radios

vincepru

NAXJA Forum User
aright guys ive been looking around for a decent cb radio for the jeep, and i am completely lost between all of them and need some guidance. i have never before used one of these so i dont know what to look for. im not really trying to spend over 100 bucks on one since i wont be using it all that often. and i sorta want one with a PA option (just to have a little fun in parking lots :moon:)

can you guys lend me any advice? ive been looking at this one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10603642
got the link from jeepforum, but nobody said anything about it.

^unfortunately i dont think we have any of those around where i live. infact ive never seen a gas station that sells cb's other than this one i always stop at in Georgia on my way to florida haha

Really any decent CB will work out for ya. Try to stay with a good name. Cobra CB's are a good brand. REMEMBER the antenna is just as important OR MORE than the radio itself. By that i mean dont buy a $100 radio and a $5 antenna.

Hope this helps

I have a cobra 19 and a wilson 1000 antenna. i can pick up other people from up to 30 or 40 miles out. I also have a 300 watt amplifier and I can talk about thirty miles out. DO NOT RUN A MAGNET MOUNT ANTENNA WITH AN AMPLIFIER!!! It can boil your paint off! If you have room, get a cobra 29. Other people will be able to hear you much better.

yeah the size of it doesn't really bother me since i will be mounting it on the side of the center console in the pass side so they will have to deal with it lol.

but i am aware that the antenna is just as important, so thats why i kinda wanna keep the cb below 100 so that i can spend almost as much on a quality antenna.

I really like my Uniden PRO538W. Got good range and reception with the 4' Firestick, that might change now with my new XJ configuration, but I've yet to figure that out.
The radio also has NOAA weather service reception which is a nice feature; plus the option for a PA speaker.

For a small cheap radio, Uniden 520xl

I, along with numerous other people have run it with GREAT success. Make sure you get the 520 though not the 510. I run this paired with a wilson Lil' Wil mag mount antenna.

0000000559.jpg

i really like the Uniden PRO538W purely because of the 3 NOAA weather stations. plus i found one at a great price (50 shipped) except from what i see its pretty freekin big! 4.5 x 14 x 9.2 inches ; 7.3 pounds

For a small cheap radio, Uniden 520xl

I, along with numerous other people have run it with GREAT success. Make sure you get the 520 though not the 510. I run this paired with a wilson Lil' Wil mag mount antenna.

0000000559.jpg

X2
I run these in my jeep and my superduty w/ a Lil will antenna.
Best bang for the buck.
http://www.walcottcb.com/

Wilson Antenna are GREAT I've owned 4 Wilson antennas. In fact, i have a used SLIGHTLY Wilson 1000 mag mount, if your interested let me know.

I run the Cobra 75 WXST all-in-handset model.
Most all the guts of this CB are in the mic.
Then there is this little box the size of a pack of smokes that I mounted under the driver seat.
You run power and the antenna to this box and plug the mic to it too.
Then I just lay the mic in the console with its not in use.
Amazon has the Cobra 75 for under $100 including shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75-Handset-Mobile-40-Channel/dp/B00005N5WW
Plus it has 10 weather channels although I usually only get a signal on 1 weather channel depending on location.
Another plus to this CB for me is I have 2 Jeeps (well a Jeep and a Willys)
For an extra $25 I bought a 2nd box.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-701-Remote-Connector-CBR75WXST/dp/B00006JPET/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
When I want to switch the CB to the other rig I just unplug the mic and then screw it in to the other rig.
So it's like having 2 CBs for $125
And like someone said...the antenna may be more important than the CB
I run a 4ft Firestik mounted to my roof rack and a fold down adapter at the base of the antenna.
Since the top of my antenna is about 11 ft in the air the fold down thingy is a must for getting fast food at the drive-thru.
And make sure to tune your antenna to your CB.
I've had very good results with mine.

Back