• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb antenna in stock location

here are pics

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

Me likey.

Not to get off topic, but is that an olympic roof rack? What do you think of it? Does the tubing over the gutter really help protect anything or is that just a marketing ploy?

I think that tubing over the gutter there is meant to be a tie-down point, eh?

I haven't gotten to the point with my XJ yet where I'm ready to work on a CB antenna, but what I've been thinking I might do is drill the other fender (exactly opposite the factory AM/FM antenna mount, as shown above), and install a duplicate mount there, so that I have one on each side, and they match. Then I thought I'd run dual matching 5.5' Francis, one for the CB and one for the AM/FM. The 5.5' Francis is one of the better plastic antennas out there, and will work nicely for the CB and for the AM/FM as well. I'm a truck driver, and I can tell you that most new trucks come with a CB antenna mast installed for AM/FM reception nowadays. On mine, I currently have a 5.5' Francis for the AM/FM, but I run power, so I have a Predator 10k dual coil mounted behind the cab for the CB. The current setup is a Galaxy 99 pushing a Messenger M4V, with an 18' low-loss coax between the radio and box, and another between the box and the antenna (36' total). SWR averages about 1.6:1, not awesome but with today's tractors using mostly fiberglass and plastic cab bodies, not too bad. It serves well enough to run about 800 watts through the Predator and decent reception as well, so I'm happy with it. Lowering that SWR would be difficult on this setup, though I have thought about doing some grounding to see if I can bring it down a little.

Anyway, my '97 XJ is mostly metal, body-wise, so it shouldn't be hard at all to get a pretty decent antenna setup working. When I do get into it in the Spring, I'll post on how I wind up doing it and how it works out. I'm working on getting my Ham ticket too, just haven't had a lot of time to work on that lately. But I'll get there.

:) Now your gonna get yelled at for not running barefoot. Many of the ppl here are anti anything against the FCC rules.... :)

I am getting good SWR from my 4' k-40 between 1.3 and 1.6 depending on the frequency.

I learned my HAM stuff from podcast its WAY easy I just listened to
http://www.hamradioclass.org/

Seriously its easy then I took the tests before I took the real thing at www.qrz.org

once you get consistantly over 70% go pay your $14 and take it took me a few weeks and not so much time.

Back