• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter swap 01 XJ

jxj

NAXJA Member # 1559
My jeep: 01 Cherokee with over 100,00miles, AW4, 6inch lift, 35 MTR.

Planning on installing the tcase skid from DPG (RA1) that does not have the cutout for the oval cat converter. My current cat has some dents/scatches and would like to replace it with a flatter converter (searched this topic - going with catco) not for performance, only to gain some clearance and fit the skid plate. I wanted to know if there is anything I need to be careful of when doing this, I want to avoid any error codes especially with O2 sensors. In the FSM it states only 4 O2 sensors-two before and two after the precats. I looked under and around the cat converter and muffler and see no additional O2 sensor in this area. Is it just a matter of cutting the old converter and welding up the new one. I've read alot of comments about adding an O2 bung after the cat but cannot see the need for it since none exist as far as I can see. thanks for any help.

i beleive the california cars are the only ones with the 4 o2 sensors because they had pre-cats right on the headers. i think the regular configuration only uses one on the collector pipe and on in the cat just unscrew the one in the cat cut the old cat out and put in the new cat with the o2 sensor just make sure you get a cat with a bung for your o2 sensor.

mine is an 01 too, i dont have any sensors on the cat, or the muffler. when i did my cat back, i took off the muffler, and the cat, and turned the car on to see what would happen. no lights or anything went on. as long as there aren't any sensors you should be okay.

Mine is a 99XJ with 4.0L California model and only has one cat.

There's 2 oxygen sensors. One right at the bottom of the exhaust manifold and another downstream of the cat.

MAP

Back