• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat or no Cat

JeepXJ_90

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 1990 XJ 4.0 bad cat on it, should i cut it out and run a staight pipe to the flowmaster or should i put a high flow cat on there?

Last edited:
If there are emmisions laws in your state then I would recommend replacing the converter. If there are no laws as such, and you are going for maximum power then you will need about a 3' section of 2.25" straight pipe available from any muffler shop for about $10.

Once again, there is no reason not to run a cat.

You will not get better power from removing a cat. Modern cats flow well, partiuclarly the high flow ones.

There is no reason not to run a cat.

I assume from your handle your XJ is a 1990 model, yes?

If so let price decide for you, get the most economical one you can find. One of the nice things about a Renix system is that it is not very picky about certain parts, the cat is one of them, a standard universal (cheap!) model works fine.

i have a magnaflow cat into a flowmaster 40 and i am extremely pleased with the setup. i have bashed both on the rocks and they are built like damn skidplates, the magnaflow is also a lot smaller than a stock HO cat so it tucks away really nicely

It makes no difference whats so ever. Ive ran catless for awhile and all I got was heat build up in the muffler instead of the cat. No extra butt dyno power, well unless your cat is poorly clogged like mine then going catless and swapping in a new cat will make a worlds of difference. I probally gained 20HP back and had no more overheating issues.

Federal law, not state. If it came with a catalytic converter from the factory it must always have one. That'd cover all gas powered vehicles currently on the road, by the way.

JJacobs said:
Federal law, not state. If it came with a catalytic converter from the factory it must always have one. That'd cover all gas powered vehicles currently on the road, by the way.
that's a good enough reason for me not to run one:D

Run a cat!
I just bought a Ultrafit Catalytic converter, direct fit, 2.5in. high flow for $87.95
Looks good, small, and will bolt right in.
Haven't installed yet waiting for pacesetter headers to arrive before I install cat though. Don't want burn out cat because ex. man. is cracked and O2 sensor is running engine rich.
Just bought whole exhaust, header, head tube, cat, and Dynomax catback. All 2.5in. for $540.66

Can we make a sticky on this. I see this issue on every forum Im a member of. I dunno I really dont care what you run, but we need to just make a all enlightening post and hope people read it.

As far as things to include. Difference in CFM, Power, Noise with a specific muffler, videos, sound clips, everything to try and start a revolution of ending the to cat or not to cat questions...

XJoshua said:
Can we make a sticky on this. I see this issue on every forum Im a member of. I dunno I really dont care what you run, but we need to just make a all enlightening post and hope people read it.

As far as things to include. Difference in CFM, Power, Noise with a specific muffler, videos, sound clips, everything to try and start a revolution of ending the to cat or not to cat questions...

2yxpsmh.jpg

XJoshua said:

Personally, I think its completely unnecessary. A few minutes of research pretty much anywhere shows that there is no significant difference to performance by running a cat as opposed to not running a cat. You will only see negligible performance differences in numbers, not enough to make a real world difference.

The difference is in the emissions; they are significantly lower when running a cat.

You want the greenies off our backs? Run a damn cat and tell everyone else you know to run one too...

Can't this bloody thread be locked now?

Back