• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cast Valve Covers

I have one on my 90 RENIX. The cover itself is for a 96 model XJ though. It works great, no issues.

P1020306.jpg

Those are made by Crown. Everyone I know that has them likes them. Only complaint I've heard is some people don't like the plastic push in oil cap. They work fine, but some people like to go fancier and get the Mr. Gasket ones from local auto stores.

The cap is kinda cheesy but it works. I would pick up some new grommets for the install. Its just easier to cut the ones on your old cover and pull the elbows out so you dont snap them.

any NAXJA vendors carry these?

Trailrider your talking about the breather elbows, correct? I meant the ones in the bolt holes of the steel cover.

My bad, yes I was talking about the breathers. The bolt holes do not take the grommets but you do use the metal/rubber valve cover gasket.

Those are made by Crown. Everyone I know that has them likes them. Only complaint I've heard is some people don't like the plastic push in oil cap. They work fine, but some people like to go fancier and get the Mr. Gasket ones from local auto stores.

Does the Mr. Gasket one have a threaded oil fill hole? I've considered getting one of these covers, and knew the oil cap was included, but didn't realize it was a push in. For some reason the idea of relying on a big cork to keep oil from spraying all over my engine bay makes me a little nervous...

I've only heard of one person having reported the cap coming out, and he also mentioned he had serious blow by and other issues going on so I equated it to that.

I don't know the details on the Mr. Gasket oil cap, only that I've seen it mentioned a few times. There was a write-up on here a while back that mentioned it as the guy installed the same red cover.

The covers are also sold in black, and yellow. Comes with the nice rubber covered metal gasket.

ok since we are on the topic about the oil cap... where can you get the breather pieces that go in the valve cover for the renix? mine leak. i have tried the help section in the parts stores but no luck. is this a dealer only thing?

Even though the cover is for a HO head it still is a direct swap onto the renix heads?

Yes, the valve cover mating surface is the same on all 4.0. The only difference is the CCV system which sucks on the RENIX anyway so i swapped mine over to the HO CCV system and did away with about a mile of plumbing.

ok since we are on the topic about the oil cap... where can you get the breather pieces that go in the valve cover for the renix? mine leak. i have tried the help section in the parts stores but no luck. is this a dealer only thing?

The dealer should have all of those parts

Back