• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carpetless? Undercoated floors? Huge mats? enamel & sand?

I just pulled mine out last night. My jeep stank, so I first pulled out the insulation under the carpet, and that did make it a lot better. But my wife wanted the rest of it gone, so I pulled the carpet out. It isn't as loud as I expected. I can hear some road noise if I listen for it, but the wind noise covers it up. Hasn't been too hot either, at least not yet. I'll get some floor mate, and maybe hurculiner it or something some time in the future.

Wow lots of non red names! Good thing we got that membership drive this month...

I like the bedliner stuff personally, but wish I had done my last jeeps differently! Now that I am building a new one, I think I have a fool proof plan of attack for flooring that will not only take the water abuse, but look great.

I have the ENTIRE interior removed. All the padding, and every nut, bolt, and wire. Going to wire wheel every possible surface, then wipe down with acetone to ensure the most clean surface possible. The floor will then recieve a few well placed holes for drainage. I will then dynamat from the windshield all the way to the back of the MJ cab up to the rear window. After followed by the replacement of the factory firewall padding and a new factory rubber flooring. I have not figure out what kind of plugs I am going to use yet, but I am thinking they need to be around 1" in diameter as well as super tight fitting (something like a boat hull plug).

The reason I am wanting to do this is because I cant stand how bad the rhinolining stuff looks inside! Its so thin and nothing looks like it fits right inside. I hope that using dynamat and rubber flooring will make it look factory, but be weather strong.

Scrappy said:
Wow lots of non red names! Good thing we got that membership drive this month...
Okay, you're right. This forum has helped me so much that I just joined.

I wasn't thrilled about the look of the console without the carpet myself. I have some heavy rubber floor material and I was going to cover the hump with that after the bed liner goes in. I'm hoping that will look better and protect the wires coming from the rear seat. I also cut off and kept the carpet skirt under the rear seat. I plan to reinstall that to cover the exposed wire and dress thing up a little.

ratherbcamping said:
Okay, you're right. This forum has helped me so much that I just joined.

I wasn't thrilled about the look of the console without the carpet myself. I have some heavy rubber floor material and I was going to cover the hump with that after the bed liner goes in. I'm hoping that will look better and protect the wires coming from the rear seat. I also cut off and kept the carpet skirt under the rear seat. I plan to reinstall that to cover the exposed wire and dress thing up a little.

Sweet!!

As far as I am concerned, as long as your putting material down that WONT suck water into itself, your doing good. Which is why I want dynamat. The road noise and heat with the bedliners just suck! I would rather have nasty stinky carpet if it means it dont get so flippin hot.

Scrappy said:
The reason I am wanting to do this is because I cant stand how bad the rhinolining stuff looks inside! Its so thin and nothing looks like it fits right inside.

Rhino is the thick stuff....mine is is over 1/4" in many places. The floor looks flat.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Rhino is the thick stuff....mine is is over 1/4" in many places. The floor looks flat.

Rev

I guess I should have been more specific. It still is not as thick as the OEM carpet and padding. Leaving gaps with the interior pieces. Just looks... tacky.

I'm having the same delemma too. My carpet is shot and I am often at the beach or playing in the mud. I want something that is easy to clean, but b/c I don't have A/C, I don't want it to get even hotter inside. Last time I went in the mud, I had 2" of water inside, so that may cause a problem w/ padding. I have thought of Herculliner (whole outside is done in it), but I figured it'd get too damn hot and like people have said, console, trim, etc wouldn't fit right. I wanted to get the preformed rubber floor (found on JCWhitney), but heard that it isn't a great fit. Does dynamat absorb water? Does anyone make a rubber floor that fits? I guess I could go w/ carpet and get nice floor mats, but I just don't want to rot out my floor. b

i was thinking of keeping my carpet around the tranny hump

I Pulled all the Carpet in mine and used "Hippo-Liner". Yeah seriously that's what it's called. It works pretty good. I haven't added drain plugs yet, but i don't get water in my jeep anymore. All the water was from spray coming through pinholes in the floor, which have been fixed.

As to the problem of the trim not fitting right, I just got some cheap automotive door sealing trim. the stuff you buy by the foot, and just put it on all the edges of the trim pieces. Looks a lot better.

Yeah yeah i know, my name is the wrong color. I'm getting paid on the 25th, so leave me alone :)

BlackJax said:
My Line-X is 1" thick and it never gets hot. Next week, I'm scheduled to have the whole truck Line-X'd now.
Definitely show us pics and let us know how it goes.

You going with the regular black?

Any commercially available bedliner will be more than adequate for the interopr of your XJ. I plan on doing this with mine when the carpet finaly goes. The only drawback that I can think of for removing the carpet and liner is heat. With the guts of your XJ so neatly tucked up high in it's belly, specifically the tranny and exhaust, without the carpet and liner you will definately feel the heat coming up through the floor. You will be suprised how hot the center hump can get when you are moving at slow speeds, like a little oven. The bed liner would be the way to go if, heat from the floor is not an issue, your AC works, and you will regularly wash out the interior of your Jeep. A DIY liner would be most cost effective. Remember that the vast majority of the floor is covered by seats and foot mats, if you choose.

But first things first. I would fix what's actually broke. Find that leak and put an end to it.

BlackJax said:
My Line-X is 1" thick and it never gets hot. Next week, I'm scheduled to have the whole truck Line-X'd now.

How much is that going to cost you?? My local Line-X guy want $500 just to do the rockers.

what if you where to go under the jeep what that stick on shiny heat sheald tape? Would that help enough with the heat? I need to do something with my carpet, we have been flooded out twice here in central kansas, and its raining again hard tonight. all my carpet has turned brown, and smells like a cat has been using it as a urnal.

I have been thinking about pulling the carpet out and lining it with bed liner, but the heat thing scares me as hot as it gets even with the carpet in there.

has anyone tryed just taking the carpet and pad out, and putting only the carpet back?

Back