• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carpet kit?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
just wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a cheap carpet kit?
flooded the jeep once this year, and now due to bad weather stripping i am getting some water in the XJ and it smells so i plan on ripping out the carpet and putting a layer of heat/sound insulation then carpet. the caro area is herculined.
rockauto has the passener area (front/non-cargo area) for 125$,
is there anything cheaper than that? fabric store and just cut it to fit?

yeah i pulled the carpet in my POS. in the summer it gets hot lol but its nice in the winter lol...that tunnel can get warm.im thinking about insulating the tunnel and lining it possibly, i like not worrying about gettin mud or spills on the carpet

im trying to keep the jeep feeling like a "regular" car as much as possible, i figure the carpet is good for insulation and that regular car feel. ill prob just pull it out, soak it in hot water and some kind of detergent, pressure wash it, then throw it back in...

rockauto has the passener area (front/non-cargo area) for 125$,
is there anything cheaper than that? fabric store and just cut it to fit?

Same story. I thought about putting back the old one. Do you think it will smell again?

Running without a carpet gets to you after a while. A bit noisy.

Take the carpet out and take it to the car wash and pressure wash it with soap. Let it dry inside for a few days and put back in. Or you can get some AstroTurf.:D

i like the idea of using the heat and sound insulation first , then topping that off with the rubber. ive found a site before that sells that auto heat insulation for like 30$ for a big roll. also, i think we can buy neoprene or rubber at blue collar supply for way cheaper than this place? i think the combo of the two will add great insulation and also be easy to clean and wont have to worry about flooding the jeep so much

Yeah, use that dense insulation stuff with the aluminum backing on both sides. 30 a roll sounds about right. Check out summitracing for that kind of stuff too. The nice thing is they ship UPS ground from Sparkes Nevada but it comes next day. Mainly do the tranny tunnel and the floor boards in the front, especially on the drivers side where the exhaust manifold is. If there is any place that air can get through plug that off too. I found on my Jeep the metal was all weak down by the gas peddal from the heat and something hit the underside of my Jeep and actually tore a little gash in the floor and it frickn made the inside of my Jeep so hot. If your Jeep gets hot in the sun you can also take the headliner out, get 3M spray adhesive and put that heat insulation on the roof then reinstall the headliner. Works great in the summer.

i like the idea of throwing that insulation on the floors and the ceiling. ill take what i can get when it comes to comfort in the xj.

I use Simple Green for almost all of my cleaning especially for the interior of the car. If you have tan carpet I might stay away from cleaning it and just replacing it, because it will not look the same after drenching it in water. I'll list off how I have done it.

1 - mix up a large mixture of Simple Green and water 50/50. I use a hudson sprayer.
2 - vacum the carpet
3 - pressure wash the carpet completely
4 - spray entire carpet with Simple Green mix. (If there are spots you can use a medium brush to clean it, but remember that will leave you with a clean spot)
5 - let sit for about 10-15 minutes
6 - pressure wash carpet
7 - repeat the above 2 steps again
8 - when making the final wash out be sure to get all the Simple Green out of the carpet
9 - let the carpet dry for several days (preferrably outside as it can smell it it is inside, drying can take up to a week depending on the weather conditions you're in.

That is how I have done it before and I haven't had any problems. But if you're wanting it to look brand new I would just buy brand new.

i dont care for brand new at all. i care for best bang for the buck. i also want to better insulate the thing while i have it apart. ill most likely buy a roll of the good insulation, its cheap online. i am thinking of just putting rubber over that and ditching the carpet all together. not sure yet. the carpet cleaning idea is by dfar the best bang for the buck

Check the H.vac feedback vent tube. I had a 89 XJ; the tube was not in all the way and it would always puddle in front pass floor.

On a YJ and an Xj with moisture / musty issue. I removed the carpet, Washed and dryed inside or in sun, and re-installed. No more smell. On another XJ I removed the center hump insulation when I cleaned carpeting. Then used roof / window flashing from Lowes. It is very simular to dynamat, but skinnier, and a LOT less $$. I think it was $15-20 per roll.

Hey Jon. I have a spare front carpet, grey out of an old XJ. If you still need it, it's yours. Email or Text me if you want it.

matt i like the flashing idea. i might be down to grab that carpet. i am thinking for all the water crossings and snow that i might go the rubber/vinyl/ lizard skin / route

Not sure there would be much of a difference. I thought the only difference between the sport and other models was options such as power seats, leather, power windows, etc.

i thought the sport has the vinyl floor instead of carpet?

hmmm, well I have a sport and it has carpet. others may be different though. :dunno:

Yeah, mine is a sport and has carpet as well.

I doubt there is any difference, but ALL the sites say theirs does not fit the sport. Has me confused and I was hoping somebody would know.

you probably got some weird small variation in a seat mount, or tranny tunnel that is no big deal, but they don't want to say it fits and get people complaining about it. I cant imagine the sport having a totally different interior floor setup.

Back