• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carbon fiber...why not?

dzolcali said:
lighten the load and increase MPG ... they weigh less
dzolcali said:
I was just think gas is going up and the xj weighs a bit
dzolcali said:
well what about added horsepower ... ive had too much fiberglass break on me and it's expensive as well
dzolcali said:
I think it's ugly ... I was mainly just looking for a way to lighten up my jeep
dzolcali said:
to counter that with lighter other things
dzolcali said:
it will help the environment

So.... why do you want carbon fiber? your answers keep changing and they are all completely impractical.

Michaelarchangelo said:
If you are really concered about the enviroment, why are you driving a jeep?

x2

Even if you traded in your lifted jeep on big tires right this moment for a VW Beetle TDI running biodiesel, your contribution towards reducing the burning of fossil fuels is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I think it's hilarious that i make a "statement" and then a lot of you come in with like argument...lol it's really quite funny that you can't just read something like "It would be cool to have carbon fiber on my jeep" and then you go all ballistic with arguments and dissing. I want carbon fiber on my jeep cause I want it on my jeep I don't have to justify it to some retard online...I think the carbon fiber drive shaft could be good for a lift because it could flex more and I was also thinking maybe some sorta alluminum shaft to cover it so it doesn't get gouged out on rocks incase I did want to crawl the jeep.

dzolcali said:
I think it's hilarious that i make a "statement" and then a lot of you come in with like argument...lol it's really quite funny that you can't just read something like "It would be cool to have carbon fiber on my jeep" and then you go all ballistic with arguments and dissing. I want carbon fiber on my jeep cause I want it on my jeep I don't have to justify it to some retard online...I think the carbon fiber drive shaft could be good for a lift because it could flex more and I was also thinking maybe some sorta alluminum shaft to cover it so it doesn't get gouged out on rocks incase I did want to crawl the jeep.

Actually, you'd find that CF would flex rather less than metal, rather than more. CF isn't "plastic" in the engineering sense - you'll already have a torsional load on it, and bending it between the ends would cause more trouble.

You might be able to get away with a set of bearings and a sleeve (kinda like the new Tom Woods? shaft?) - the sleeve would not be a bearing member for stress, which would allow it to protect the driveshaft more. However, you'll find you're going to be behind on weight doing that...

Until someone can come up with decent layup patterns, the "cool" factor is probably going to be seriously offset by the "cost" factor - again, I'm not trying to dissuade you (do it if you really want to!) but I'm just trying to give you some idea what you'll be in for...

5-90

I have seen some drag cars run a CF shaft before with no trouble. I have also seen a CF shaft break on the starting line as well. Oddly enough it was stuffed with newspaper, made a hell of a mess. Alot of later model chevy trucks have a composite DS as well.

yeah I understand. I thought carbon fiber was stronger than steel...and I also thought that it flexed more similar to titanium, and as stated before the shrapnel from the busted drive shaft has less inertia making it somewhat safer to run. and I really think some thickly layered carbon fiber could be lighter than steel. Hrmm I think I may just make a super list and post it on jeep forum.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the idea - but when you select an engineering material, just remember that strength is not the only consideration - you must take the operating environment into as well... CF may make a decent driveshaft, but it will want to work in a "clean" environment - take into account all stresses involved...

5-90

dzolcali said:
..lol it's really quite funny that you can't just read something like "It would be cool to have carbon fiber on my jeep" and then you go all ballistic with arguments and dissing. I want carbon fiber on my jeep cause I want it on my jeep I don't have to justify it to some retard online...

really?

i said:
admit it, you want carbon fiber because you think it's "cool". the sooner you admit it, the sooner we can get on with a (half)serious discussion about how to make some.

to which you replied:
carbon fiber isn't really cool. I think it's ugly, and all the ones i see on peoples hoods are chipped up or sun faded. I was mainly just looking for a way to lighten up my jeep ... blah blah blah

you sound like a freaking politician

this is just laughable:
dzolcali said:
I think the carbon fiber drive shaft could be good for a lift because it could flex more and I was also thinking maybe some sorta alluminum shaft to cover it so it doesn't get gouged out on rocks incase I did want to crawl the jeep.

and also contains even more flip flopping:
Perhaps for off road it is dumb, but I never specified an off road jeep cf driveshaft

those were posted out of order to support your point...way to go!

exceptions, what are you trying to prove brett, steel is superior to carbon fiber..? I mean seriously what do you hate about cf?

dzolcali said:
those were posted out of order to support your point...way to go!

exceptions, what are you trying to prove brett, steel is superior to carbon fiber..? I mean seriously what do you hate about cf?
there is a logical order to those quotes, but the point is the same regardless; you are completely inconsistant and therefore no one hear can take you seriouslyv

BrettM said:
there is a logical order to those quotes, but the point is the same regardless; you are completely inconsistant and therefore no one hear can take you seriouslyv

no one "here?" or hear...consistant with what? follow up with some explanation...it's not the whole "taking seriously" thing it's the someone makes a post to generate some conversation and diverse opinions and then you get, conflicting opinions that are not just stated they are very aggressive in nature for no apparent reason and almost attacking...so far 5-90 and a few others have been the only decent posting people I have read in my threads the rest of the post sound like 10 year olds that are fighting over some candy.

dzolcali said:
...the rest of the post sound like 10 year olds that are fighting over some candy.

I like candy. GIMME GIMME

dzolcali said:
what are you trying to prove, steel is superior to carbon fiber?

It depends on the application. You can't just make an absolute statement that one material is better.

Didn't the 03 Cobra come with a CF driveshaft? I do know you can buy them for stangs and such for about ~$500-600, but I can think of a lot of better ways to spend that kind of cash, like at a strip club.

dzolcali said:
no one "here?" or hear...consistant with what? follow up with some explanation...it's not the whole "taking seriously" thing it's the someone makes a post to generate some conversation and diverse opinions and then you get, conflicting opinions that are not just stated they are very aggressive in nature for no apparent reason and almost attacking...so far 5-90 and a few others have been the only decent posting people I have read in my threads the rest of the post sound like 10 year olds that are fighting over some candy.
my mistake, i havent een speaking to your level.

you are a doo-doo head.

better?

:confused1

BrettM said:
aw, but i'm still having fun test driving the new 'tard
reel_schematics.gif

Alright...have fun

Last edited:
you guys are fascinated by trolls....takes one to know one comes to mind and last time I checked that phrase still holds true :)

also copied from the forum sticky

This forum has been created for people to discuss modification and tuning issues related to street XJ's.

This may include lowering XJ's, or just performance tuning a stock suspension XJ and more.

IF you do not care for this type of modification, that is fine. Bashing or rude comments towards posters will not be tolerated.

As always, the "Report This Post" feature is the best way to deal with a post that is out of line.

Enjoy the forum!

maybe i'm not in the wrong afterall since everything started out fine until someone was bashing and making rude comments...grow up plz ;)

Last edited:
Back