• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Audio Advice

What is the best/cheapest way to make my sound system louder...

• Keep stock stereo and get a 4 channel amp

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Replace the head unit

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
That is why I would buy a 4x amp that can do both line/speaker level input. If you find the sound quality blows using the stock head unit and speaker level inputs, you can still use the amp with a new deck, and you won't have to worry about a high-power head unit, just one with line/rca out.

You're using the speaker outputs from the head unit to send that sound signal to the amp. Then running your outputs from the amp to the speakers themselves.

That is why I would buy a 4x amp that can do both line/speaker level input. If you find the sound quality blows using the stock head unit and speaker level inputs, you can still use the amp with a new deck, and you won't have to worry about a high-power head unit, just one with line/rca out.

Soooo then its just...

Headunit Speaker wire ---> Amp ----> Speakers

And for the Amp...

Battery (+/-) ----> Amp

yep. And if you decide to later ditch the stock head unit, its:

Head -> RCA -> Amp -> Speakers...

Sound advice from all of you. Thank you.

The Honda guys had no clue.
They are thinking I should just spend $1,000 and get new everything. Blah. I just want to be able to bump some tunes, not blow the doors off.

Oh yeah, its the same thing with the Victory forums. I was trying to decide between the aftermarket setup with a Rockford Fosgate amp and 6.5" speakers vs. upgrading to the better stereo offered on the Magnum version of my bike that came out later. You start diving into those stereo threads and it quickly turns into this $2,000 aftermarket head unit, speakers in the saddle bags, multiple amps, etc goat bang fest. In the end I'm very happy with my set up and I like that it has room for growth/upgrade down the line if I ever wanted to go big on my stereo later.

FWIW the stock head unit on my bike is rated for 25 watts peak per channel and the Rockford amp I've got is rated for 150 Watts per channel. If you ever want to swing out to my neck of the woods I'll gladly turn it up for you, its ridiculous how loud 2 little 6.5" speakers get and there is no distortion in the sound either. I've never maxed it out to setting 30 on my volume, but once you hit 20 I think your ears could start bleeding.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, its the same thing with the Victory forums. I was trying to decide between the aftermarket setup with a Rockford Fosgate amp and 6.5" speakers vs. upgrading to the better stereo offered on the Magnum version of my bike that came out later. You start diving into those stereo threads and it quickly turns into this $2,000 aftermarket head unit, speakers in the saddle bags, multiple amps, etc goat bang fest. In the end I'm very happy with my set up and I like that it has room for growth/upgrade down the line if I ever wanted to go big on my stereo later.

FWIW the stock head unit on my bike is rated for 25 watts peak per channel and the Rockford amp I've got is rated for 150 Watts per channel. If you ever want to swing out to my neck of the woods I'll gladly turn it up for you, its ridiculous how loud 2 little 6.5" speakers get and there is no distortion in the sound either. I've never maxed it out to setting 30 on my volume, but once you hit 20 I think your ears could start bleeding.

How interesting.

I'm seeing amps for about $150. Sound about right?

Then i just need to mount it under a seat and extend all the speaker wires from behind the head unit.

hit up the local pawn shops -- quality amps are one of the 1st things the honda crowd pawns when they need fundage. I've probably bought 10 pawned amps in my life, every one worked great. Bet you can score what you need for less than $50. :eyes:

My specific amp lists for $280 (but its like 150$ on Amazon), but its a compact unit designed for motorcycle or stealth type applications. I'm sure you can get decent amps for cheaper.

Here is a good write-up from Crutchfield with some cool recommended parts. That multi-wire speaker cable would make things really easy.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uRKpEKfLMd4/learn/connecting-an-amplifier-to-a-factory-radio.html

If you want to run RCA's to/from the amp I happened to see some adapter splice harnesses that go from the radio speaker output harness to an RCA adapter housing and back into the factory speaker harness. It was in the google shopping links, I didn't actually click on them. I'm not sure if they're worth a damn but that might be another option for making the install and potential head unit upgrade later on easier.

All this radio talk and now I'm really tempted to rip the Jeep apart and redo the entire thing. The previous owner took it to car toys and they did a horrible job on the install. There is a bundle of loose RCA cable under the carpet right in front of the driver seat. Randomly I'll only get front or rear speakers when listening to music. Despite the ease of getting a plug and play splice kit for the stock radio harness I saw a bunch of wire connectors behind the radio. Its pretty hack over all. On the trail I'm just happy to have music, and the blue tooth connectivity is nice. I've been DD'ing the Jeep lately though and I'm getting fairly annoyed with it all.

Last edited:
Holy archived post Batman... when “awhile back” is approaching 8 years, the light not your VCR is blinking! :D

Was gonna say, sure you can bear to part with it so soon Troy? :D

I can agree with many of the olde fartes that have posted here, and some of the younger farts. New aftermarket units have way too many bells and whistles and are too hard to operate while driving. That said, I've managed to deal with a Sony MEX-XB100BT in my DD 96 XJ. Adds the Bluetooth that wasn't even dreamed of back then, has the USB input for my 20+ gB music collection, and 40 watts RMS/100 watts peak/channel of power. I can't figure out how to set the clock without consulting the owners manual, but I can operate the volume control, hit the pause button when I go to the drive though at the bank, and hit the next button if I don't like the current song.
I also added a cheapo amp and 12" sub that distorts my rear-view mirror images for about $140

You're using the speaker outputs from the head unit to send that sound signal to the amp. Then running your outputs from the amp to the speakers themselves.
To keep distortion to a minimum you need to match the low output impedance of the deck to the high impedance of the amp, unless it has a low Z input.

Troy. That is a good option. If I go with an amp, i'll give you a call.

That being said, I may be 'tapping out' and getting a new head unit. Easy install, cheap, and it would be nice to have bluetooth.

The bluetooth is really nice, and really safe for phone use. I put a BT capable Alpine deck in the Dakota, and pulled it before I traded it in so I can put it in the boys' Kia.

Someday I'll get around to upgrading the low end bass on my Dodge with a set of subs under the rear seats. Adding a set of good subs cleans up the stock sound system nicely . The XJ is getting a couple cheap HiFOnics Brutus amps and a couple 15s just to drown out the shitty cow boy music the JK folks like to play on over priced speaker pods .

Back