• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant get my oil filter adapter off!!

Thanks for the recommendation.... My 1st day back to work even!

I have 3 of them sitting here ready to ship.

They were fabbed for some other members before I got sick and I have yet to get back to them. But they literally take like 10 minutes to make.

I have to charge $6.00 for the torx bit, but the steel and labor is free to you. I use the USPS "If it fits, it ships" box, so it ends up being somewhere around 20 bux shipped. PM me.

are you welding a torx bit into a piece of bar stock?

cause that's what I was going to do.

I've got 4 of these things to do. Lucky me.

I like the serpentine belt tool suggestion. I may give that a go.

I have to go get all of my t60 sockets replaced though. GM cars have eaten 4 of them recently. I'd really like to kick the guy that designed the rear brake knuckle on every 90's GM car in the taint.

are you welding a torx bit into a piece of bar stock?

Yes. 1/2" x 1" x 12" long mild steel bar stock. I buy the torx bits at Autozone. T60 for 3/8 ratchet.

Press the torx bit out of the base, drill hole (I forget what diameter) 1/2" from one end in the middle of the 1" dimension of the bar stock.

Insert torx bit and weld in place.

I found it's easiest if you break the bolt loose from below then remove it from above.

Some good ideas in this thread. Thanks for posting. Now I need to get around to doing this.

I used a T60 L Wrench with a deep well socket over the top of the long end. I then put an 18" extension on to that and it came off pretty easy. I followed some advice I got off of YouTube and heated the engine up for a while before I went after it.

I removed one @ the JY for a 2nd. to put on No.1 4.0 waiting for refurbishment. On day 1 I sprayed t/ adapter w/ PB Blaster and then went home. The 2nd. day back @ JY I brought a 12mm spanner w/ a ratcheting closed end and t/ T60 bit. I removed t/ oil filter from the adapter also. This could allow you to hit the adapter w/ a soft faced type of hammer to break free of t/ seal/washer enough to remove that combo bolt. I turned that bolt and away it went.

Back