• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant find lower radiator hose with a spring

Dealer should have it..

the reason im replaceing it is because the hose was real soft in the middle, pulled it off and the spring it broke in half. got to diggin around on napaonline.com and found one with a spring for half the price of the one without the spring. thanks for the help though

Should tell you something...like it ain't needed. I replaced my hoses in my 90 twice now, and have never used a spring. You should not need it with quality hoses.

Rev

Just go to the dealer, its not very expensive.

I've been buying most of my parts OEM lately. I'm tired of getting burned on crappy aftermarket parts, and for some reason on XJs, most of the parts at the dealership I deal with are pretty reasonably priced.

Any hose shop will sell you the spring, many after market and new OEM's mold the spring in the rubber where it can't rust or disturb water low.

Seems the oem part is a pos cause it needs the spring in it.

I tossed the spring a long time ago myself when replacing my hoses. I couldn't get it stuffed into my new hose. I've had problems with it in certain situations, like when idling on a trail when the engine is hot.

I tried to get the one that napaonline lists but my local napa said they couldn't get it because it was discontinued.... Finally went to the dealer. $18

I haven't put it on yet but I hope it solves my small overheating issue.

The spring in the lower rad hose is to prevent it from rubbing and contact with your scolding hot powerstearing line's. Find a hose with the spring in it or use a heatcover for the portion that is either right over, or contacting the PS lines.

Billfaceeee said:
The spring in the lower rad hose is to prevent it from rubbing and contact with your scolding hot powerstearing line's. Find a hose with the spring in it or use a heatcover for the portion that is either right over, or contacting the PS lines.

I thought it was to keep it from getting sucked shut? I've actually seen mine sucked shut before....

what about on the closed loop system? how could it suck shut then?

soldwrangler said:
the reason im replaceing it is because the hose was real soft in the middle, pulled it off and the spring it broke in half. got to diggin around on napaonline.com and found one with a spring for half the price of the one without the spring. thanks for the help though

Newer lower Radiator hoses have the spring molded in the rubber, that way they don't rust away or slow water flow.

If you must have a spring, any Hydraulic Hose shop can sell it by the foot.

Go to the dealer and get ready to pay about $30. Napa no longer carries the hose with the spring, but for some reason they still list the discontinued part number online.

The internal spring has nothing to do with the power steering lines. The hose should have an anti-chafing sleeve on the outside to prevent it from being damaged from rubbing against the steering box.

langer1 said:
Newer lower Radiator hoses have the spring molded in the rubber, that way they don't rust away or slow water flow.

If you must have a spring, any Hydraulic Hose shop can sell it by the foot.

Not all of them! I've replaced mine twice since unknowingly tossing the spring. I bought one from NAPA and the other from Auto Zone. Neither one had the spring. I could squeeze them with my hand. After being used for a while, they were even easier to squeeze.

The spring does keep the hose from being sucked shut. The 350 chev is a classic example. The problem is that the water pump will pull hard enough to suck the hose shut if the radiator is too clogged to flow freely. It's not the hose, it's lack of flow.

If you have the problem, the recommendation is buy a new radiator with at least one more core than you have. Then your clogged up block passages will be the next weak link in cooling.

Back