• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant decide.. spartan locker for the 30... or???

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting a spartan, but recently realized I could possibly use new shocks. I'm sitting on RE 3.5" leafs and coils. Most likely going to add some shackles and go to 4.5" coils soon. Id like to get shocks now but concerned about them being too short when I add the taller coils and shackles.

Also, what do you guys normally use to measure lengths when measuring for shocks? I don't have access to a forklift and recently took my sliders off to begin my rocker replacement project, so no real good jacking points for the hi lift.

Should I just get the spartan for now? Keep in mind I need shocks ASAP.

Well The 3.5" shocks will work on the 4.5" lift. It just wont be ideal as youll be limited in travel by the shock.
I measure full extended length, full compressed length, and length at ride height.

I wouldnt do shocks til you had the extra lift.

If you buy the locker will you be able to afford the shocks still? if so, why wait to get it?

No cause I'll probably get bilsteins... and I'll just go ahead and say it lol I came to find out I snapped a rear shock in half recently well ok not so recently.. it had happened over a month ago.

I've had my heart set on the spartan, but I'm in a conundrum with correcting this problem at the same time knowing I'll be changing ride heights soon.

Ugh.. I hate when I can't decide on things. Now that I'm thinking about it, I want to relocate my axle side shock mounts higher on the axle.

I could probably do the shocks coils and shackles at the same time... maybe. I have about 300 to spare right now. Probably gonna be tight. REAL TIGHT.

Dammit I hate reasonable thinking. I've been putting out a hefty amount of $$$ recently on this thing. Wish I had more.

Not really other than just not liking them. How much do spacers run nowadays? Frank has 4.5" re coils for like 75 bucks seems like a waste to do spacers if coils are so cheap lately

I'm not from your chapter but do you have a vacuum disconnect axle? Here in California lockers in the front make things very hard to turn with unless its a selectable locker like an E locker or ARB, it's already bad enough with stock steering and no locker, I don't know that a locker would be very wise. I myself went with a rear locker first. It works for me so far.

Also, a choice between coils/shocks/shackles and a locker... Well shocks would be my #1 priority, then shackles and coils shocks do more than just keep your jeep from bouncing, it keeps your rear from squatting under acceleration, keeps the nose from diving under hard braking and it helps slow down body roll. It helps with a lot actually, if it were me I would save the $$ and get a good set of bilsteins, I got the 5150's and love them, but another option is the 5165's.

Maybe before you get rear shocks and shackles you can cut off your shock mounts and raise them up so they don't drag on anything. Just another option.

Its non vacuum. I was reading that the spartan works wonders in the dana 30 almost unnoticeable when in 2wd. I'm definitely moving my shock mounts up which will help the reason I'm missing one in the first place.

How do you guys suggest doing my measurements without acces to a forklift and no sliders??I already cutmy sliders off to do my frame stiffeners and rocker replacement. A jack under the axle won't get the true measurements that I need... or will it?

I'm not from your chapter but do you have a vacuum disconnect axle? Here in California lockers in the front make things very hard to turn with unless its a selectable locker like an E locker or ARB, it's already bad enough with stock steering and no locker, I don't know that a locker would be very wise.

Wtf are you talking about? If it isn't in 4wd he won't know the locker is even there. Making it hard to turn? when he is in 4wheel? any non.selectable does that. being a disco axle doesn't make a difference.....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wtf are you talking about? If it isn't in 4wd he won't know the locker is even there. Making it hard to turn? when he is in 4wheel? any non.selectable does that. being a disco axle doesn't make a difference.....

:rolleyes:

I just simply meant IN 4wd, but yes your correct in 2wd he won't hardly know it's there

Being a disco axle it would be less noticeable since the passenger shaft is disconnected completely in 2wd so you would t even hear it ratchet

I have a Spartan in the front of my XJ, it works great and I never ntice it on the street. That said, in 4low it really does make for increased steering effort. Even with my new pump, rebuilt steering box, and a cooler my pump will start whining at me by the end of the day when I'm wheeling. That said, I'm going to keep it in there until after the hydraulic assist is done. If it still annoys me I'll be getting an ARB.

Buy the 4.5" coils from Frank - 75
Buy some Zone off road 1" shackles- 75+shipping
Bilstein 5100s added to all this is going to put you up around the 500 range.

If I were you, I would just try to buy a cheap shock to limp around until you can buy all those goodies at one time. Just my .02 though. Good luck man!

Back