• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can this header be welded?

lawsoncl said:
Bingo! Sounds like a likely candidate. Did it stop working about the same time the stalling started?

Well yeah, I had to swap speedo units, see I had a 93 2wd Ax-15, I swapped that out for an 89 AX-15/231 so I took out the cable driven speedo and put the eletrical one in. However it doesn't work, but didn't think much of it causeing any problems so havent messed with it. I didn't know if the swap would work or not, so figured if it didn't I would just find a 93 4wd speedo to put in.

So you think this is what is causing my stalling issue?

Yes, I do think the speedo is related as the computer uses that input to figure out if you're moving or stopping. I have seen a few other posts with people mentioning stalling in relation to a bad VSS.

I don't know if the 2wd speedo sensor works in the xfer case. I do know that the sensor housing has to be rotated to the correct position depending on what speedo gear it has. You might just need to rotate it so it engages?

i jb welded up my old header, and it didnt last 5 minutes down the road. i have also tried just about every exhaust fix that napa carried. nothing worked. i paid a little over a hundred bucks for an apn header that is going great. i also replaced a very badly deteriorated motor mount (did both of them and there was 1/4" of rubber left in the ds one.)

Well I'm not tearing it apart. not now, If I do it's a banks hedder going on, but I got someone ho said he would weld it up, so going to have him take care of it tomorrow. But changing the IAC censor out tomorrow to see if that corrects the stalling. The speedo does not yet work, I tried rotating it and what not so IDK, mess with it later tomorrow as well.

MiNi Beast said:
Well yeah, I had to swap speedo units, see I had a 93 2wd Ax-15, I swapped that out for an 89 AX-15/231 so I took out the cable driven speedo and put the eletrical one in.

I don't believe the '89 has anything internally for the VSS to "read"

it uses a magnetic pick-up IIRC and the '89 only has the drive gear for the mechanical cable

Well it is welded, thanks to samurai2240, even did it in the jeep, and it no longer leaks.
It however wasn't the fix for the stalling. I later got a IAC from dalovva and switched it with mine and it fixed the problem for about 20 mins. Then left his place and the jeep started stalling again, so got pissed and unplugged that stupid shit, and well it cured my problem no more stalling, so good enough for me.

lawsoncl said:
Both are gear driven, but the 89 and 93 have different speedo gears, so perhaps it's a matter of putting the longer speedo gear from the 89 on there? http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

Well have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Back