• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can some1 tell me if this is LSD or Open D44 diff

use whatever axle you are installing setup. there is no "junction block". the rear soft brake line has a "block" type end where your 2 hard lines on the axle go into to. Thats probably what you are talking . just bolt up the 44 and use your current soft line. good time to upgrade to a 96 durango rear brake line.
yes that block, i have braided ss lines installed instead of the soft lines, so looks like i have to use the block from my D35 then? the soft brake line that came with the D44 was cut in half and i dont think it can be removed from the junstion block, looks like its integral

All I see are spider gears, which means its open. If it was limited slip there would be some sort of springs or clutches etc.

Not an accurate way to find out, the 8.8 has a spring tensioner but the 44 and the 8.25 LSD's don't, mines a 8.25 and have the tracloc and it doesn't use a spring in it.

Warlock1: question, got any more insight on the powerloc? Never heard of it, wonder if it was a option for the 8.25's or not

power locks where usually in ld Cj5s and scouts. One of my old scout 800a's had powerloks front and rear. they are a more aggressive posi from what I understand.

The power locks are a a bit more aggressive. Instaled one in my 44 last year, and was impressed. They are suppose to last a little longer, I heard, but who knows. They both operate with clutches.

Not an accurate way to find out, the 8.8 has a spring tensioner but the 44 and the 8.25 LSD's don't, mines a 8.25 and have the tracloc and it doesn't use a spring in it.

Warlock1: question, got any more insight on the powerloc? Never heard of it, wonder if it was a option for the 8.25's or not

X2. The clutches on these axles are OUTSIDE the spider gears. You will still see all four spider gears when the axle is equipped with LSD

hes got the diff open, why on earth would he do all of those rediculous tests?

it appears to be open. all i see are the 4 spider gears.

gear ratio should be stamped somewhere on the ring gear, id guess what ever the stamp to the left of "4 21 93" is. hard to tell. counting the teeth will work if your not sure.

relax dude,
these ridiculous tests are what he needs to know how to do, regardless of the accuracy of your answer, or MINE.
to me it "looks" like the LSD i pulled out of my 44 a few years ago but the picture doesnt give all the detail neccesary, and my memory may not be perfect. therefore i suggest some simple troubleshooting methods he can use in the future, as well as today.
also, the ratio itself is not stamped on the gear, the numbers of teeth on the ring and matching pinion will be stamped, and if he doesnt know what those represent when he sees them it might as well be written in chinese.

the carrier looked odd to me, so i went back and it appears to be a LSD.

if the clutches are completely worn out... itll fail to an open carrier, and not even act like a LSD. ive often found that spinny tests dont work for my. operator error maybe. but things like counting drive shaft rotations to tire rotations never seem accurate.

and correct, its tooth count that is stamped on the ring gear. but even though its not conveniently labeled XXX:1, its still a ratio.

Carrier looks like an LSD one (squared off at the NRGS end instead of sorta conical/rounded), and I think I see clutch packs or something above the NRGS side gear. The real indication is cast into the NRGS (that's the Non Ring Gear Side) end of the housing, right next to where the carrier bearing presses on. It should say "Trac - Lok" or similar, I have one sitting here next to me right now. Here's what the mark looks like:
374P508.jpg

For comparison, here's what a gerotor Vari-Lok looks like:
jobEFtY.jpg

(this nicely demonstrates why you need special axleshafts to run a vari-lok diff.)

So what you have there is almost certainly an LSD... in a chrysler product it is termed a "trac-lok".

Open Dana 44 you have. New larger U-Bolts you will need. This is the best bolt in stock cherokee rear axle. You probably have 3.55 gears. FYI 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56 gears are available in Isuzu Rodeos (Honda Passports) with Dana 44's if you are interested. I think you have to divide the reading by 10 or 100 to get the gear ratio from the ring gear.

Not as far as I know. I'm not even sure that the 8.25 ever came with a limited slip as I've never seen one with it. Unfortunately, Chrysler was always pretty miserly with their limited slip optioned axles. The Powerloc was only standard in the 60's and 70's Mopar muscle cars equipped with the Super Track Pack option on the 440 Six Pack and Hemi cars with the 4 speed and Dana 60 rear axle or heavy duty trucks. You could get one if, when ordering a new Mopar car, you checked the correct box on the option list. I can't speak to any other vehicle manufacturer as I only specialize in Chrysler and Jeep products. The Tracloc was more widely offered as the base model of limited slip differentials.

The Powerloc and Trackloc are available for most axles with the Tracloc covering more. You can get either for the Dana 44. For the 8.25, I think the Tracloc being your only option of the 2.

It is an option on 8.25s, both 27 and 29 spline.

FYI, many Dakotas, B1500 vans, and Durangos got the 8.25 as well. Some got the 9.25, so you have to be careful to identify before pulling... but I have now gotten two stock Trac-Loks out of Durangos with 8.25s. One's in my swapped 29 spline 8.25 in the back of my MJ, the other is sitting on my desk at work next to me and going in the new-to-me 29 spline 8.25 I'll be putting in my XJ soon.

At least in the northeast I've found many 8.25 equipped Durangos (but not all) came with LSDs. They all seem to be in good shape, apparently Durango drivers don't drive very hard. Dakotas often have them too but usually the clutch packs are spanked.

I get em for 30-50 bucks at the local you-pull, usually with good clutches.

Carrier looks like an LSD one (squared off at the NRGS end instead of sorta conical/rounded), and I think I see clutch packs or something above the NRGS side gear. The real indication is cast into the NRGS (that's the Non Ring Gear Side) end of the housing, right next to where the carrier bearing presses on. It should say "Trac - Lok" or similar, I have one sitting here next to me right now. Here's what the mark looks like:
374P508.jpg

For comparison, here's what a gerotor Vari-Lok looks like:
jobEFtY.jpg

(this nicely demonstrates why you need special axleshafts to run a vari-lok diff.)

So what you have there is almost certainly an LSD... in a chrysler product it is termed a "trac-lok".

Assuming this pertains to the other thread with the wj d30 axle and vari-lok LSD?

Yeah, just figured I'd toss it in here since this was turning into an "identify factory diff traction aids" pictorial guide anyways :spin1:

And when I looked at the OP's pics and said to myself "I wonder why you can only see clutches under the side gear on one side" I started wondering if that was the oil plenum/scraper/baffle thing that vari-lok diffs use, so I looked the pic up and... it wasn't.

It is an option on 8.25s, both 27 and 29 spline.

FYI, many Dakotas, B1500 vans, and Durangos got the 8.25 as well. Some got the 9.25, so you have to be careful to identify before pulling... but I have now gotten two stock Trac-Loks out of Durangos with 8.25s. One's in my swapped 29 spline 8.25 in the back of my MJ, the other is sitting on my desk at work next to me and going in the new-to-me 29 spline 8.25 I'll be putting in my XJ soon.

At least in the northeast I've found many 8.25 equipped Durangos (but not all) came with LSDs. They all seem to be in good shape, apparently Durango drivers don't drive very hard. Dakotas often have them too but usually the clutch packs are spanked.

I get em for 30-50 bucks at the local you-pull, usually with good clutches.

Yea, that's why I said I wasn't sure. I usually go to the 2 local pic-and-pulls about 8-10- times a year and usually there are about 15 - 20 XJ's in there, with a high turnover rate, and I always check the axles. In the approx 7 years that I've been looking at XJ's, after acquiring my '91 2 door, I've only seen 1 Dana 35 Tracloc and 0 8.25 limited slip diffs and 0 Dana 44 axles at all. To get a Dana44, I had to buy a whole XJ and pull the factory Dana44 out and swap in a Dana35 then sold it. It was only one notch above a parts donor but it had the axle I was searching for.

I also have a '78 B100 shorty van that had an 8.25 in it. When I built a big motor for it (I drag race it), I pulled a 9.25 and built it up to withstand the abuse. I'm running a Tracloc in that with 4.10 gears.

That's something I've always wondered, why doesn't anyone use the 9.25 from a Durango to use on our XJ/MJ's? It's very strong (90 percent as strong as a Dana 60) and it looks like it would be about the correct width.

Yeah, I've literally never seen an LSD in an XJ rear except the d35 I got free from a friend years ago for spare parts before I took the 35 out of my XJ forever.

For some reason they're a lot more common in other Chrysler group vehicles.

As for the 9.25... I've considered such things (and also swiping other things out of the 8.25s they come with.) Earlier Durangos (BN or DN chassis, I forget) are 6x4.5 bolt pattern, which is just weird. Later (HB chassis I think?) are either 5x5 or 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They all have either big honking drums or big honking discs, which is a nice start, but the weird lug patterns and the fact that they're several inches wider (I am guessing 63-64" WMS-WMS, but haven't measured recently) kinda kill it for most people, plus the fact that you'd have to weld perches.

And rear 60s are almost literally a dime a dozen - there are always a variety of them at my local pull a part. It's the front axles that are harder to find around here.

Ah, ok. Never got into it that far to realize that they had that weird bolt pattern. I would be driving and be behind an Durango, I would see the 9.25" and say to myself "I wonder why someone hasn't tried one of those in our XJ's ". That's about as far as it got. It seemed to me because they are a midsize truck that the width might be about close. I never went any further because I had, by then, located my D44. If I hadn't, I was gonna try one of those Durango 9.25's. Brutal strong they are.

You totally could, a 5 lug one would make a nice match for a 5 lug front 44 with a matching-ish width. I looked it up and the 5 lug Durango pattern is 5x5.5.

They do have a pinion preload spacer instead of preload shims, which is nicer to set up, but iirc people have issues with losing preload on 9.25s and above, at least in 2500 vans and such. I seem to recall finding a lot of people with that issue when I looked up swapping an 8 lug 9.25 (iirc) from my old dodge 2500 van into a jeep and decided I'd just let it go to the scrapyard instead because rear 60s are a dime a dozen.

As a match for a 5 lug front axle, it's an interesting idea though. Especially because they are super common and no one really pulls them at the junkyard.

Back