• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I lfit 4 -5 inches without drive train modification

Fullsizexj said:
How you figure they don't get longer when they fall out, what can happen is that it will drop down and sometimes act as a poll volt, launching the rear of the jeep into the air
Tell that to my oil pan. It broke at the transfer side and some how got hold of my oil pan......Again not sure exactly how

Ramsey said:
SPOBI why on earth would you even say something like that, sure chances are greater but saying you WILL NEED it is bogus.
No, it isn't bogus. 1996 was the first year of the new transfer case output design. Even a factory Up Country option, which is a 1" lift, causes excessive vibrations on that drive train. This is a documented fact, and the factory has released a TSB calling for a transfer case drop on the 96 and newer XJs with Up Country to try to alleviate the vibes. Service writer at my dealership had that installed on his wife's 99 with Up Country -- he said it eliminated 80% to 90% of the vibrations.

I stand by my statement. '96 and newer, pretty much any lift requires a SYE. A 4" to 5" lift definitely will need a SYE.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
I stand by my statement. '96 and newer, pretty much any lift requires a SYE. A 4" to 5" lift definitely will need a SYE.

not to call you out, but ive had 2 97+s and lifted many of both body types (for background info)...on my 98 i took it to 7" without an SYE. a tcase drop and 6* shims gave me NO vibes ever. smooth sailing, never had a prob at BB, 3", 4.5" 6" or 7". when i went to the 8-8.5 im at now, i put one on, but it really isnt a matter of NEED, every XJ is different. however, i just lifted a 96 to about 5", drop and shims give no vibes. my old 96 was the same. i dont know why everyone freaks out about the 97+s NEEDING them, i havent found that to be the case.
as for the TSB, it must be recent, cause ive never heard of it, nor have i felt any vibes, much less 'excessive' ones at speed or otherwise in UC XJs, no matter the year...more info, maybe we can give them our VINs and get the drops and sell them on ebay haha
-Bennett

I just lifted my 99 xj with a 3 inch skyjacker lift. I just did it on the 15th of this month. I also went and had an alignment. My question is I have a vibe around 40-45 and then it goes away. I have not taken it higher than 55 mph because I'm waiting to put new tires on it. How do you get rid of vibes? I read posts and did a search but it didn’t really help all that much. This is a daily driver and I will do some off-roading in it. Any help would be great.

Adam

if its because of your driveshaft then you need to do a slip yoke eliminator(sye) if thats not it troubleshoot till you find it. it could be your tires out of balance. wait till you get your new ones and have them balanced and see if it still does it

and eagle it is bogus:laugh3:

Bottom line is you won't know until you try it. You will at the least need a transfer case drop.

I agree that that everyone seems to get a different result, but I have 4.5" (3" spring w/ 1.5" BB) of lift, a skyjacker transfer case lowering kit, and longer rear shackles (the rear part of the BB). The drop kit and the extended shackles have my rear DS angles looking pretty good and I have never had a problem with binding or vibes either on a trail or on the road with no swaybars and the rear of my XJ flexes pretty good for what I have.

The Skyjacker TC drop is the only 1.5" drop I have seen.

That said, I'm planning on doing a SYE in August becuse it is a lot stronger, I want my 1.5" of clearance back, and I am re-doing my setup to 6" of lift and 33's.

If you are set on getting a 4" lift then do it. If you have vibe issues then do the SYE. Maybe you'll be fine, maybe you'll have to spend some more $$$. The question is why worry about it, if you need one, you need one. You're not going to let the possibility of needing to do a SYE stop you from lifting it are you? Go for it

Eagle said:

from someoine who actually owns a lifted 96 or newer Xj that is lifted
@ 5" a SYE is DEFINITELY NOT required w/ extended shackles and 4degree shims and a t-case drop i could cruise at any speed on 33s w/ the only vibes being those of the Lugs on the bfg MTs

oh and btw i wheeled the piss outta it setup that way for 1.5yr including 3 trips to Tellico driving there, wheeling and then driving home each time..

I have to agree with Eagle. It's NOT JUST ABOUT VIBES. That slip yoke would be so far out with 5" of lift, running that would IMHO be dangerous. A little flex and your rear DS falls out and then $$$ the damage!

I only have 3' lift but I'm being told that my driveshaft angle is to steep. Would 2 degree's shim be enough? I will have to order these because I live in AK. Also is it safe to drive this for a couple weeks if I dont wheel it? Lastly do I really need a TC drop kit? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Adam

thats a nice jeep, but its cleerly photoshoped because as eagle said it just is not possible :laugh3:

Ramsey said:
thats a nice jeep, but its cleerly photoshoped because as eagle said it just is not possible :laugh3:

lol :)
yeah its a photo-chop just like all the scars on my knuckles from all the wrenchin on it,
its Good to have knowlegable ADVICE for a base-line and sometimes its Better to get out the tool box and do some work..
like my old pappy used to say
"you have to be smarter than what you're working on"

howell111 said:
I only have 3' lift but I'm being told that my driveshaft angle is to steep. Would 2 degree's shim be enough? I will have to order these because I live in AK. Also is it safe to drive this for a couple weeks if I dont wheel it? Lastly do I really need a TC drop kit? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Adam

its more of a trial and error kinda thing

i would start w/ a 1" t-case drop 1st
there are tons of writeups online of how to DiY,
- easiest fix would be some 1"x1" tubing and longer bolts -

if you Shim your axle NEVER use any cast aluminum degree shims, use ONLY steel or some cut from a high grade billet aluminum

Rubicon Express sells steel degree shims, so does Poison Spyder

Rocketman said:
5/8 of an inch longer. That's it.

ahh - but that 5/8" in the output shaft makes the driveshaft shorter... and a shorter driveshaft makes more u-joint angle, and the more angle, the faster we are down the transfer case bearing vibe road...

if you are running with more than 3" with out and SYE - count your blessings, and save up for one, so i dont have to clean up after you...

dellstopjeep said:
eagle is right, there are people who lift there newer xj's 2 inches and need them, and i dont know anyone who lifts there xj an inch unless its for towing purposes so that is pretty much exlcuded.

just becasue you guys got lucky doesnt mean everyone does. although i have as well becasue i roughly 5 inches of lift and no vibes to on my 89.
My 2001 is lifted 4.5" and I have no vibes at all. My '85 is lifted 6" and it has no vibes at all. Both have TC drop kits. I belived my '85 has a fixed yoke though and I don't wheel my 2001....

Eagle said:
No, it isn't bogus. 1996 was the first year of the new transfer case output design. Even a factory Up Country option, which is a 1" lift, causes excessive vibrations on that drive train. This is a documented fact, and the factory has released a TSB calling for a transfer case drop on the 96 and newer XJs with Up Country to try to alleviate the vibes. Service writer at my dealership had that installed on his wife's 99 with Up Country -- he said it eliminated 80% to 90% of the vibrations.

Eagle, I respect your opinion and your experience. Youve got a lot of time and posts on here, and I agree with 99.9% of the statements you make, as they are almost always right on the money.

But sorry, I call bullshit on this one. Stand by your statement if you please, but youre wrong. Plain and simple. Myself ('97) my good friend Rob ('98) and other good friend Andrew ('00) ALL ran 4"+ without a slip yoke eliminator. To this day, I am the only one who has upgraded, and having become familiar with both of their cherokees, neither have driveline vibration. None whatsoever.

Back