• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I jack up one side at a time to replace rear leafs

sidriptide said:
this ranks right up there with "can i run with no swaybar and 6" of lift" sure you can do it.. IT IS NOT a good idea and those who tell you differently are not thinking the entire consequenses thruogh.... take a few minues and think it thru...

so true!

lapaul said:
I'd need 3 boards (6 inches thick each) to get 18 inches under the rails, and 4 to get 24 inches.

They'd have to slip forward 9inches or sideways 15 inches under weight, to fail.

With the weight of the vechile on them, they are not going to go anywhere, in fact you'd have a hard time moving them with a sledge hammer..

I feel more confident with these holding up the vehicle than a jackstand.

Drillers do the same thing to level their drill rigs all the time, but then again they aren't climbing under the drill rig. Also, stacked things are easier to topple or buckle than one solid piece. They won't have to slide very far to spit one block out. For changing leaf springs you don't really have to get under the vehicle at all so I wouldn't worry about it. I would fell better under a vehicle with the big harbor freight jackstands though.

lapaul said:
How high do the Walmart stands extend to.

I wanna say 18 1/2 inches, same for the jack. You could buy the extended 'SUV' ones for three or four dollars more.

I used 6x6 or 8x8 wood blocks to lift rear so shoot me. Worked fine. Seemed safe. Jackstands I had didn't go high enough. My old K-mart jack worked just fine. Have a hi-lift now.

217976440wMbOrp_ph.jpg

who says wood don't work?

Back