• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camera guys

Jump This

Just another minion!
My wife wasn't at all interested in wheelin'......not until we went to Moab and she got to take pictures of the Jeeps and the area. Whenever it got more tippy than she wanted she just got out and took pictures!
And she loved it!
So now she wants a nicer camera for Christmas.
She has no training or experience and is not too great on manuals (I normally read up for her and answer questions as she needs.)
Now for the question, what would be a great 'starter' camera for her.
We are talking digital here, $500~$1000 maybe..

Rick

Thats what I have and love it.

Honestly I am not really brand loyal with cameras but I would stick with either Nikon or Canon.

Go to a shop that has them both and play with them. See what fits you the best. Some like Canons buttons and layout. Some like Nikon.

Either way with modern technology you are going to get a great camera either way.

Rick, have her go to a store and hold/play with a few... Then decided on what she likes best... You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon...

I've got a Nikon D70 and I wish it were a little smaller sometimes. The Canon Rebel line is a bit smaller.

Either way they're both good brands. Don't let the pixel count make that much difference, unless you plan on making posters even something in the 6 mp range is more than fine for sharing on the web or getting prints made at Costco, Wallgreens or wherever.

With Nikon you can use lenses going back to the auto-focus film camera era (one reason I stuck with Nikon, had a handful of lenses from film days) so you can get those pretty inexpensively if there's any interest in expanding, say with a 400 telephoto.

Well, I'm an SLR guy, but wouldn't recommend that as a "starter" camera - especially if it's going to be used for wheeling trips, family photos, etc. SLR's are great, but then there is always the need / want for new lenses, etc and the cost can get pretty damn crazy.

I think your best bet is more of an "advanced" point n shoot. I'm a HUGE Canon fan, so I would strongly recommend the Canon G10. I haven't used one, but my friend had an older model (G7?) and it was an awesome camera. The specs on the G10 are very nice. More megapixels than you'd ever need, 5x optical zoom (wish it were a little more, but the awesome part is that this is a "wide angle" lens - 28mm in film talk - most point n shoots are in the 32-40 range - nice to have that lil extra bit of coverage for landscapes, etc). A lot more "nerdy" specs, but I won't bore you with that. I think it goes for $500 or so at brick and mortar places.

If you decide you REALLY want to get her a more advanced camera that she can "grow" into - I'm selling my Canon 40d - no lens - for $750... :laugh:
(really more camera than she'll probably ever need though)

Check this one out: *link*

Great package deal, plus paypal gives you an extra $100 off (until black Friday). My father in law just got this same package. I can't wait to check it out (borrow it for a wheeling trip).

Check this one out: *link*

Great package deal, plus paypal gives you an extra $100 off (until black Friday). My father in law just got this same package. I can't wait to check it out (borrow it for a wheeling trip).

Has he got it yet?

I hate to be the dude to ruin it but that isn't the best deal. Tameron lenses are junk for the most part and all the other goodies a package deal like that has in it are pretty cheap.

I know because I got taken for the same ride. There are about five places on the ebay that I won't do business with. Pixis camera is one of them. Sunshine electronics is another. This is where I got my Nikon from and it was a nightmare from the second I put the order in.

I found out after doing a little research that you can come up with almost as good a deal from other more reputable dealers. You might pay a little more, or have to pay shipping but you will get much greater service.

Also a good rule of thumb. IF you are going to get a package deal, MAKE SURE you get quality glass. Ask Handlebars about this. A crappy lens can make a $3000.00 camera seem almost worthless. It's all about the glass.

Well, I'm an SLR guy, but wouldn't recommend that as a "starter" camera - especially if it's going to be used for wheeling trips, family photos, etc. SLR's are great, but then there is always the need / want for new lenses, etc and the cost can get pretty damn crazy.

I think your best bet is more of an "advanced" point n shoot.

I would say the exact opposite. I hate point and shoots and the pictures are no were near as good as a SLR. I would take my SLR any day of the week or a compact. And yeah they can get spendy if you buy a dozen different lens or not it you don't. The picture quality is well worth it. Oh and the new Pentax cameras take any lens they have ever made, auto focus may not work with all models though. Canons probably do as well.

Has he got it yet?

I hate to be the dude to ruin it but that isn't the best deal. Tameron lenses are junk for the most part and all the other goodies a package deal like that has in it are pretty cheap.

I know because I got taken for the same ride. There are about five places on the ebay that I won't do business with. Pixis camera is one of them. Sunshine electronics is another. This is where I got my Nikon from and it was a nightmare from the second I put the order in.

I found out after doing a little research that you can come up with almost as good a deal from other more reputable dealers. You might pay a little more, or have to pay shipping but you will get much greater service.

Also a good rule of thumb. IF you are going to get a package deal, MAKE SURE you get quality glass. Ask Handlebars about this. A crappy lens can make a $3000.00 camera seem almost worthless. It's all about the glass.

He actually decided to go with a slightly different package last night at the last minute. *updated link* He decided that he wanted the image stabilization lenses since he photographs a lot of sports (wrestling and baseball). Hopefully "getitdigital" is a decent retailer and doesn't screw him over.

I would say the exact opposite. I hate point and shoots and the pictures are no were near as good as a SLR. I would take my SLR any day of the week or a compact. And yeah they can get spendy if you buy a dozen different lens or not it you don't. The picture quality is well worth it. Oh and the new Pentax cameras take any lens they have ever made, auto focus may not work with all models though. Canons probably do as well.

Yeah, but the advanced "point n shoots" such as the G10 are closing that gap between SLR photos and non-SLR photos. The G10 in particular has the new Digic IV processor and is 15mp - same stats as my 50d (although there are differences between the two - Canon isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot). Point is, it'll take amazing photos, not break the bank and most importantly, not be a burden. I know there have been several times when on vacation that I have regretted lugging around a camera bag on my back that's stuffed w/ my extra batteries, flash, two lenses, etc while ALSO carrying my DSLR around my neck. Nothing quite screams "tourist" like that!!! I know I have wished that I had a "point n shoot" that could go from 28-200mm w/out having to swap lenses, etc, but like you, I also prefer the picture quality and manual control that a DSLR offers. I'm just saying that there are those moments...

He actually decided to go with a slightly different package last night at the last minute. *updated link* He decided that he wanted the image stabilization lenses since he photographs a lot of sports (wrestling and baseball). Hopefully "getitdigital" is a decent retailer and doesn't screw him over.

Image Stabilization does NOT help with sports photography. It's sole purpose is to counteract the photographer's movements (ie - hand shaking). When shooting sports, you want the shutter speed to be fast enough to stop the action so that your subject isn't blurred. When your shutter speed is set fast enough to do that, the little bit of motion that is transmitting through your hand to the camera is moot - the shutter is too quick. Just figured I'd let you know so that he doesn't spend money on somethign that isn't going to benefit his needs. For sports photography, he'll need the fastest lenses he can afford to buy. He could probably get away w/ an f/4 for baseball during the day (f/2.8 at night) and although I've never shot wrestling, most gyms are poorly lit, so he's going to want an f/2.8 for that (and more than likely an add-on flash). Looking at almost a grand for any lens in that range - sports photography is a very expensive hobby, but luckily sports aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so there is no need to rush out and buy everything at once. He'll learn the ins & outs and can slowly build up his collection of equipment.

I love my SLR, though im an avid nature and scene photographer.
I bought an inexpensive ($100) point and shooter as a backup camera and one to use for potentially dirty shots like working on the jeep (Greasy parts pics) or while wheeling where theres mud, water or something that could potentially cause a loss of camera.
IMHO if you want a good picture that you may very well want to frame, you need a camera with manual focus options and a viewfinder. Not just an lcd screen on the back. But thats just MY opinion.

He will be much happier with the Canon lenses.

Don't know about getitdigital. With ebay you never know. I didn't get screwed over really, it just took them almost a month to get my stuff to me and when I would call they would just give me the run around. In the end I found out that Nikon had a recall on my camera and they had to ship new ones to the retailers. All they would have to have said is just that but it was always some lame excuse.

Back