• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cable from throttle body to transmission

daemon512

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping transmissions, and have an issue with the cable mentioned in the title (throttle cable):
The old transmission's cable is crushed inside the transmission (I opened it up and bolted something down onto it I believe, crushing the "bead end" that goes into the small "cam".
The new one's plastic piece that slides onto the nub on the throttle body is broken.

I'm assuming the transmission won't work without this piece, is there a way to swap out the plastic piece onto the new one? The ends of the metal cable are seemingly held together by a metal "clamp bead" that doesn't look like I even could remove it, and if I can, it won't go back on. I'd get a new one, but it seems to have to be special ordered, and I was really hoping to get this job done today (need to drive about 3.5 hours to hopefully be at work tomorrow, though at this point it isn't looking good). Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance!

The cable is for gear shift down actuation when the engine needs a lower gear ratio to move the engine rpms higher into the power band when going up steep grades on the highway. As for as I know thats all that it does....
Whether you can swap the ends on the two different cables; I doubt it...

I believe it'll get you to work without it, it might shift real funny or not at all, put the new one's cable on it and if you can't get it attached right, adjust it and tape/tie it in place somehow and find a setting that seems to work ok most of the time. The plastic piece can't really be replaced as you already determined.

I have one in my spare parts collection that I can mail you, I'd drive it out but you're 3 hours away. I pulled it out of a parts trans I had before scrapping it because I have had exactly the same thing happen to me before.

I thought I might not be able to fix it, and I also thouht that might be its function, but figured I'd check it out before making a "ruling".

Kastein, that would be great, I believe I've PM'ed you about it. Thanks!

Back