• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c-rok this

Its just a matter of the bolts being stronger because of the material they are made of. Galvanized bolts will resist corrosion and will last longer. I don't think I've seen a broken bolt that wasn't corroded in one way or another that was in the steering box (yeah, i've broken brand new bolts before, that's not what I'm saying). So the idea is not just to get stronger bolts, but to protect them from corrosion.

The reason the bolts break, in my opinion, is work hardening. They are always being subject to bending stresses as the frame flexes. That's why the ORGS/JKS plate system is superior, it eliminates the bending stress on the bolts by sleeving the frame with tubing that connects the inner and outer frame plates, which are also welded to the frame.

This is a nice light-duty solution to your problem, good job.

i bought a steering box brace from c-rok and noticed that it also has a plate that runs under the unibody rail. the part that the sway bar bushing bolts onto. that portion is also secured.

aside from missing that piece your brace looks almost just like it.

nice work.

Extreme stress is placed on one bolt when the frame flexes at the other bolts as the box tries to pull said bolts through the frame. Causing this bolt/boss to fail. Once the frame is reinforced the load is more evenly disturbed. Bolt failure is then less common.
Replacing the inside spacers.
Often pics showing the inside spacer (not a brace) snapped in the webbing. Trying to make you feel like you are a bad Jeep owner if you don't replace the wimpy stock spacer with some manly bullet proof peace of steal.
IT'S A SPACER and the webbing is only to hold the bosses in place for ease of installation. It adds no stiffness and if the S-box bolt holes in the frame are reinforced on the out side no inside stiffing is needed.
Yea, the stock spacer may show sins of crushing at the bosses. The bosses of said spacer are not very large and better disruption of the load is needed. C-rok and other make nice plates for this or a stack of fender washer super glued to the bottom of the S-box will do just fine maybe even better then a plate.
C-rok will not tell you to use F washers because they want to sell you a plate and that's OK with me. He got kids to feed to. IM just saying use you head and not just your wallet.

Yes, I am the Red Green of fender washer

91 Jeep Project said:
All AGR boxes are, are revamped J-20 boxes, tapped for hydro. Or so I've heard

you are correct...
at least the two ive seen...

cool custom end cap and top piece thing out of aluminum though...

re-reading my post - I came across as an ass hole...

I really just wanted you to think about what you were doing...

not that big a deal, just a webwheelers observation...

XJ_ranger said:
re-reading my post - I came across as an ass hole...

I really just wanted you to think about what you were doing...

not that big a deal, just a webwheelers observation...
Shut up ass

Back