• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypasses and bumpstop ideas

Cheroskeet

NAXJA Forum User
So as i finish the rear end of my jeep, Im trying to put together the front end in my head before i do it, But i had some questions for you guys. First, I want to run hydro bumps but due to my poor fabrication skills I've been trying to get some ideas on how its been done. Ive been looking at the Acos Hydro bumps but can't seem to find info from anybody who has run them and how they do. Secondly, want to run Bypasses up front due to the extra shock tuning i can get from them to allow the front end to absorb the desert much better, but running a 2.5 resi seems to be such an easier option. If set up properly can a set up with hydro bumps and smooth body resi's take the high speed desert comparable to the bypasses? any input would be awesome!

I'm trying to put together the front end in my head before I do it
I hope your bathroom is pretty big.:D

Diesel, thank you for the link that's exactly what I've been looking for for bumpstops! As far as shocks go, I just. Figured the extra tuning with a bypass would be worth it. As far as noise I'm not to worried about noise and what not, and for the way I drive it in the desert I figured I'd be a better option. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to shock tuning so that could be part of the problem

Diesel, thank you for the link that's exactly what I've been looking for for bumpstops! As far as shocks go, I just. Figured the extra tuning with a bypass would be worth it. As far as noise I'm not to worried about noise and what not, and for the way I drive it in the desert I figured I'd be a better option. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to shock tuning so that could be part of the problem

you might want to go the route I'm going single bypass no check valve's(quite) you get a bump zone a adjustable rebound and compression. King doesn't build them this way but my buddy's shop orders them they work great for a quieter setup.

Gregg

What ends up happening is you over valve them for compression and rebound. using the valving as a bump zone just like a bypass but no clickty click sound. There is one Tube instead of three or 4 ect.

This is just nicer for anything that see the street. Easy adjustment. I want a soft ride for my little ones back the adjustment out. I want more compression for high speed run it in pretty simple. Always the whole time maintaing a bump zone for compression for the harder unexpected hits. I'm running a poly bump stops front and rear I'll let you know how it works out once I take it out.

The Front ended up valving like 20/20 which normally would build a lot of heat and ride like shit. If it packs up with I may have to switch the rebound stacks out but I'm willing to do that.

jdz I really appreciate it. do you by chance of like a part number of which shocks you are using? and that sounds pretty ideal im running hydro bypasses so I should be set

I see your in Oceanside. I live in fallbrook. My office is in Escondido you can come over and check out the setup and ordered them from my neighbor who ordered mine. You may want a slightly different layout as me.

I took it out this weekend for its madden voyage. Worked ok I think there is a lot on the table as far as valvling and getting the spring rate right. Mine needed more rebound, less rebound in the front. Less compression valving all way around. This thing doesn't exactly smash through whoops, but I think I can get the harshness out and get it to settle down and still be comfortable.

I took it out this weekend for its madden voyage. Worked ok I think there is a lot on the table as far as valvling and getting the spring rate right. Mine needed more rebound, less rebound in the front. Less compression valving all way around. This thing doesn't exactly smash through whoops, but I think I can get the harshness out and get it to settle down and still be comfortable.

Do you have any pics you care to share? :thumbup:

SIf set up properly can a set up with hydro bumps and smooth body resi's take the high speed desert comparable to the bypasses? any input would be awesome!

No, Bypasses are better, you have progressive valving at different shaft heights. Get at least a 3 tube or its a waist of money. Id recommend a parallel C1 and C2 tube placement so you get double bleed until you hit C2. This is harder to tune but will be more compliant in the chop which is difficult for 1:1 ratio mounted solid axle applications.

A single tube with no plunger seams silly to me, You would impact your rebound just as much as compression when doing an adjustment. Without the plunger spring I would think this type of bypass would give you more body roll. You would need to re-valve the shock internally many times because you would not have independent rebound and comp adjustments.

A conventional bypass tube uses a spring to keep the plunger in the bypass tube closed. The external screw adjusts how far open the plunger moves, like a bypass limit. Part of tuning is in the bypass plunger springs. ADS built custom springs for my buggy.

You can have your bypass shock built with a remote reservoir if that makes it easy for you to package.

If I was you Id do a 3 tube bypass and a basic bump stop. later on you could add coilovers and air bumps.

If you buy air bumps Id recommend buying larger than you need and limit them internally as you tune.

My set up is not designed to replace a conventional bypass there is place for that. I have bypass shocks on my 4 seater and my race car. I wanted a easy to tune shock with a bump zone and no click click Clint click noise. Works great for me and my setup to each his own and yes I do have to take the shock apart to dial it in perfect.

Ultimately what I have is a adjustable bleeder with a hydro bump zone.

pics please

Back