• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a XJ

Thanks for the estimate on price of a 1990 XJ, go XJ. I would think with the price of fuel being unstable these days, that a person could get a newer XJ pretty cheap. They don't get the best fuel mileage, that's for sure. I think people who want fuel economy in an off road vehicle would be more inclinded to go for Subaru's. Is a 1999 XJ with 100,000 miles on it worth 7-8K? Seems a bit steep. But I'm pretty frugal. For a eight year old gas hog with that many miles, I'd be hard pressed to pay more than 3,000. Your mileage may vary.. :cool: -Rick

THAT MANY MILES?! hah, thats a baby, just gettin broken in.

i got a renix motor '88 DD project with 220,000 and she rides great, and so does the tranny.

and i also have my '94 rig with 152,*** on the clock and running perfect.

the 4.0 is an incredibly durable motor and so are the components that follow.

although, 7-8k i think you should shop around a little bit...

what i would do is search around on the forum and find out how to inspect a vehicle that you want to buy. then find a private seller and get the vin off that and do a carfax.
usually private owners will sell for much less than dealerships (although they tend to have a little bit more milage)

if you find nothing local you can always try to talk the dealer lower

rickoregon said:
I think people who want fuel economy in an off road vehicle would be more inclinded to go for Subaru's...
That's funny. My mom and dad both drive 90's Subarus (among other vehicles), an Impreza and the pick-up, Brat-thing, both 1.8 litres. They both get like 18 MPG, pretty lousy for those little cars. I'm currently talking my mom into buying an XJ, told her they can do 20-25 MPG with tidy driving.

I'm very curious about Renix versus HO mileage, though!

rickoregon said:
They don't get the best fuel mileage, that's for sure. -Rick

are you looking for dry water and cool heat also... you'll probably find it in your dreams, along with the economical 4x4s

Uh oh! :scared:

A friend of mine with the HO + AW4 swapped into his 2-door gets about 24 mixed, this is with 3 inches of lift, 31" MT/R's and a heavy foot.

88XJSport said:
I disagree. The last year they offered the D44 was 89 or 90 with the HD towing package. The only year they didnt offer the 4cyl was 2001.

Why would you say that? Im curious. Dont blame it on the closed cooling system because it works great if taken care of.
There is nothing wrong with the 87-90 RENIX era cherokee's with the 4.0 and AW4 automatic. They are simpler/cheaper/better to work with than the Chrysler/OBD IMHO.

Used to have a 87, loved it. Dana 44 rear, 242J, moveable vent windows.
The engine power did not compare with my 96. The HO is better IMHO

Try looking on www.craigslist.org, I currently own two xj's found from this site and have sold two vehicals here as well. Just found a 96 4.0/np232/aw4/ and the corp. 8.25 with 115,000 miles for $1,100. It has a problem with the transmission controll unit that I haven't gotten to yet but I don't see it being to hard of a fix. Other xj is a 87 renix/aw4/d44/242 I found for $1,700. I'm partial to the renix. It seems like it was built better before they started mass production on these tanks which is a given.

Pros of renix xj:
Easy diagnoses
A virtually fail safe computer system these frenchies built, no matter what I've done or unplugged on this thing it will always start.
d44 option
Seem to have more luxury opions than newer ones
Cylinder head has a power band in the lower RPM's-better for wheeling, peak torque occurs at 2400rpm.
Its been said that the renix blocks have a higher nickel content than HO blocks which would increase the integrity of the metal.
Less drivline vibes when lifting

Pros of 96+
Improved chrysler steering column
Took the torque peak back down to 3000rpm compared to previous casting in the first HO that had it somewhere above 4000rpm
Went from a 27 to a 29 spline corp.8.25 axel.
Recieve noise vibration and harshness improvements included added strength to the block.
Pistons are aluminum
improved camshaft
Tierod and draglink are thicker in diamater and balljoints are bigger, The ride is a lost smoother in the 96.

I would like to thank everyone for the info.There are some low mileage XJ's around here in the $4500-7000 range for 70,000 miles.It depends on the year of the vehicle,BUT,this is central NY and rust is terrible around here.I have spent the last 15 years in the south and can't believe the difference in condition.I know where I can get a 95 (I think,can't remember the exact year) with 70,000 for 4k,but the paint is bubbling around the door handles and I don't even want to look under the vehicle.It looks nice to those who don't know better,but I have worked as a mechanic for a long time and know what a horror story it is to work on a rust bomb.I will more then likely go to Virginia or West Virginia to buy one.:compwork:

I'm from MA so I agree on the rust issue, you can only slow it down IMO, so its not worth the labor or $ getting it fixed if its not minor, I had to get rid of my 94 that was in incredible mech. condition because it was rotting out bad in all the wrong places

I've since had a 96 and now have a 97 as well

I had an 88 once but it was a junk that I couldn't get running so I won't comment on the renix, don't know enough about it

I will say that between the 96/97, I like the 96 better, it feels faster, tigther and more nimble and it has 40,000 more miles on it then my 97

I like the look of the 84-96 a bit better and theres more storage space in the center console area, you may think no big deal, but theres nowhere for my wallet/cell phone and other crap in my 97 besides the cup holders, so even though there way better then the 84-96, I always have to move stuff to use them, theres also no real place for change besides the ash tray which is small and hard to get it out of

my 96 is a late build date so it has the same axles as my 97 (29 spline 8.25/hp30) there both also 4.0/aw4/np231

I like the full windows and new tailgate design of the 97 but other then that, I may be taking back the 96 I gave to my dad and give him my 97

thats just my .02, maybe some of those little details will help you out

go drive the different models if you can and form your own opinion

btw the 97 is a fully loaded country/w leather, I got it for $2900 on ebay, actually dealt w/ an honest guy and its in pretty good shape overall

just bought my 98 4.0 auto 4x4 in excellent condition for $3350, came with new tires and a set of new studs also. has 130K on it and runs perfect. I swapped out the tires for some 31's, added a 2 inch bb and get 20-22 mpg. I don't know the designation of the tranny and tcase, and i think the rear axle is the d35 yuck, oh well.

98stocker said:
just bought my 98 4.0 auto 4x4 in excellent condition for $3350, came with new tires and a set of new studs also. has 130K on it and runs perfect. I swapped out the tires for some 31's, added a 2 inch bb and get 20-22 mpg. I don't know the designation of the tranny and tcase, and i think the rear axle is the d35 yuck, oh well.
Being it is a 1998, its MUCH more likely you have a 81/4 axle and NOT a D35.

They DO look simular.

Here is a 8 1/4:

Cryslereightandaquarteraxle.jpg

Here is a NON "c" clip D35:

Allbuttonedup.jpg

CW

Back