• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bunch of rubes on the Rubicon

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody watch the show on Velocity yesterday where they did the Rubicon and recorded it for Google Earth.

I thought it was funny they kept saying that the Rubicon was the hardest trail in the US. They were tipped maybe 25 degrees and were petrified that they were about to roll over and die.

LOL no. got a link? Rubicon is slowly becoming one of the easiest trails in the US.

The rubicon was pretty badass 10 years ago before they removed obstacles. There's a thread somewhere on pirate showing the differences. I haven't been to the new one yet but it looks like a bummer.

its still fun and scenic. Just not super crazy. theres Fordyce and Reno for that.
they had to fix it or lose it though, with the way the Greenies are trying to close down every trial in CA, Rubicon has the biggest target on its back, and is of huge historical value to the wheeling community, so FOTR and RTF are constantly working super hard to keep it open.

Saw clips from the episode of Top gear US where the ran it. Is that what you're talking about? Bunch of needless drama, abandoning a vehicle half way through, bunch of unusable photos? Didn't watch the whole thing. Nice scenery, maybe worth watching muted with some good music playing.

As to the changes to the trail,.. Anybody know the history of the rubicon? As I recall it started out as a stagecoach road between Placerville and Lake Tahoe. Yep. Originally you could take a horse and wagon team through there. When I ran it (big sluice cleaned up but the rocks still on Cadillac hill) I spent a lot of time trying to picture what it must have looked like condition-wise to run it by wagon. My conclusion was that a lot of the rocks had to have been moved onto the trail to "make it harder" after the county abandoned the right of way.

As to the changes to the trail,.. Anybody know the history of the rubicon? As I recall it started out as a stagecoach road between Placerville and Lake Tahoe. Yep. Originally you could take a horse and wagon team through there. When I ran it (big sluice cleaned up but the rocks still on Cadillac hill) I spent a lot of time trying to picture what it must have looked like condition-wise to run it by wagon. My conclusion was that a lot of the rocks had to have been moved onto the trail to "make it harder" after the county abandoned the right of way.

Interesting back story here.
http://museum.edcgov.us/county-history/rubicon-trail

Saw clips from the episode of Top gear US where the ran it. Is that what you're talking about? Bunch of needless drama, abandoning a vehicle half way through, bunch of unusable photos? Didn't watch the whole thing. Nice scenery, maybe worth watching muted with some good music playing.

I think that might have been the show. Yes they abandoned a vehicle.

Thanks for the link Glenn

I wanted to jump through the screen and put the Tracker and 4 Runner in low range. There were a few points where I could smell the clutch on the 4 runner.

The one with the Bronco seemed to be the only one that had any remote idea of what he was doing.

Back