• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpers and a stupid question

4.3xjguy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on building some bumpers for my xj soon, and I just got one question. Ive noticed that on most of the bumpers ive seen on the internet that there are two pad eyes, (ya know the thing you put your shackles in, I dunno what you call them in the 4x4 world but I call them pad eyes or lifting lugs) and I'm wondering what the reason is. Ive seen some bumpers that just have one central pad eye, but most of them have two. I'm just wondering what the point of having two is, I would think one would be easier for rigging...

thanks
will

more places to pull from. let's say you flop your vehicle sideways in the mud. now instead of having to dig around in the mud to hook up, you have one in the air that's easier and cleaner to reach. or if you need a directional pull in a certain way or place, then you have more options for hookup.

use some common sense and imagination. chances are any reason you can come up with would be a good reason to have 2 of them.

Plus you could hook up two lines to the shackles so that more load is distributed to the frame straight on, instead of it pulling on one side only.

scorpio_vette, that kind of makes sence.

Plus you could hook up two lines to the shackles so that more load is distributed to the frame straight on
Well thats not true, if there was one shackle in the middle, the load would be spread evenly across both mounting brackets to the frame. It would be the opposite if you were pulling off one shackle on the side. Either way I dont think thats something you really have to worry about.

Asside from the bad start this thread got off to, they are right.

The reason for having two points is to have more than one tow point. More than one tow point adds flexability to situations where having only one would cause grief.

With two opposing tow points, one on each side of the vehicle you can change the load on the suspension durring the pull by changing your rigging. Even a center pull is possible in this configuration, as mentioned. You won't likely need to use both of them, but the choice of which one you use is important.
In addition, properly rigging a vehicle can also stablize the vehicle and prevent rollover while recovering from a severe off camber stuck.

Thanks Ron, that makes sence. Perhaps what I'll do is have the 2 on the side like you usually see, and one central pad eye underneath the bumper. Like I said, stupid question but I couldnt think of any real good reason to have two.

Back