• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Build from Kit with Pics

Wow, that is good looking. What was the cost of the original kit?

jeepcomj said:
yea get rid of the guard, it's no good. fugly is a good word

and your forward angle don't matter...it's still flat all the way across. if you'd made it in 3 sections and angled the sides back a bit, it wouldn't look too bad.

no offense..

I guess the pictures don't show it but there are two bends where the uprights come up. They are 7* angled back, straight across the middle. With the amount of lip in front of the grill, this was the most I could angle them back without hitting the body.

Oh well, I guess it wasn't a hit with most but I am going to leave it. I've seen better, I've seen worse. All that matters is if I am happy with it and it offers the protection I wanted.

xj_mike said:
Oh well, I guess it wasn't a hit with most but I am going to leave it. I've seen better, I've seen worse. All that matters is if I am happy with it and it offers the protection I wanted.
I would leave it, you risk the chance of messing up the bumper by cutting it back off. I don't think it looks that bad on there; anything is an improvement in protection and looks over the stock bumper, we all know that. Plus like you said, if you're happy with the way it looks and protection it gives, who cares what everyone/anyone else thinks. I give you props for your fab work in assembling the bumper and bending tube, two things I couldn't do.

The bumper kit looks good, the hoops, not my cup of tea. I understand the need for front recovery points, so if the bumper kit was cheap, then it's a good interim fix. I wouldn't have messed around with the hoop or anything extra, since you plan on getting a winch bumper anyhow. In fact, I would have just saved the money and bought the bumper you really want from the get-go.

Its your bumper, if you like it, keep it! i like the angle of it, it would keep the shooping carts from bounceing up! somtimes they take a bad bounce like that :D

Looks good. I got a PM into Ukraine Train for the DIY kit. I am thinking about adding a hoop but it will be different than yours.

RCP Phx said:
Heres the one we just finished up for my son.Doing something similar for my new winch bumper!
frontbumper2.jpg

Adding a tube like this on both sides would dramatically increase the strength by adding trangulation.

frontbumper222.jpg

i actually kinda like it. it doesnt really match the shape of the front of the xj but i think painted it will look dramatically better. kind of reminds me of the bumper that stacy put on the old full size cherokee. do you plan on adding more lights on the bumper or just stick on the ones you have cut outs for? if i dont buy another xj ill be definatly buying one of these bumpers.

see, that rearward sweep is what we wanted to see earlier. if I'd seen that angle right away I'd have loved it.

the only thing I'd want is a more angled bend on the corners of the hoop. good job though!

Thanks for the positive comments. It's amazing how the powder coating really finished it off. I had the vision in my head and kept with it regardless of the previous comments. I knew it would end up looking good.

I knew I wanted to add teh valance from day one as I did not want to see the crossmember under the bumper. I did get the idea from the ARB one. The only difference I did between the unfinished pics and the finished ones, is that I put an angle cut on the outer parts of the valanace, to help give it a more "together" look then something just slapped on.

I have some more pics from my trip this weekend and should get them posted later today or tomorrow.

Here's some poser pics. LOL

PICT3872.jpg

PICT3874.jpg

PICT3876.jpg

I like it front shot...need to be side shot though to appreciate it. angle shots like that...make me feel kinda "eh" about it.

you do great fab work btw

I REALLY like that!

I definitely want to build something very similar now... I still have my stock bumper but all my lights are busted out front and rear. SO I've been looking around.

Good job and I'm surprised more people haven't be raving about the great welds! I think it's a 10!

Funny how so many hated the bar when I was first posting it but after getting it powder coated, it's okay. Oh well.

Thanks for the compliments on the welds. They are okay as I have seen a few on the board MUCH better then I. Actually this is the first thing I have welded on in the last year. Haven't had many welding project so i was a little rusty. Lately it seems like I am welding all the time. LOL

One thing I am really happy about, I no longer have tire rub on the bumper when I stuff it and turn, like I had with the stock one. Yea!

Back