• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Rear?

Well for $40 in UJoints I think that I can spare that cash for some extra insurance knowing that the Joints are now in better condition than before, if I can every get out to a trail. :)

OK so, got the ujoints changed and the DS back in. Drove it and the vibes are still there. SO, time for some more diagnosing. I noticed that the vibes increase with both speed and load, the more gas I give it the stronger the vibes. Coasting in neutral or in drive the vibes decrease alot, almost gone. Also in 4HI it vibrates a little less.

I don't know what I should do. My friend knows a guy at the local stealership, but I really want to do this on the inexpensive side.

Any help y'all can give would be great.
Thanks,
Brandon.

take a look at the springs, it's possible that they've wrapped and your driveline angles are all fubar.
Might also want to check and make sure you've not busted centering pins or anything like that allowing the axle to shift.
I know you said that the fluid came out clean, but did you look closely at the ring and pinion?

I will look at the angles and see how they look. Didn't look too closely at the ring and pinion, took it for granted since the fluid came out clean. I have spun the rear at the yoke by hand when I had the DS out and the rear in the air and didn't notice any extra movement.

Thanks

Something no one mentioned, you could have broke/torn a engine or transfer case mount. Since doing this will place a very big load on them. My bet is one or both of the engine mounts.

You should be able to check that by having someone stand on the brakes, and then in drive, slowly add some gas while you watch what the engine is doing. If it starts to lift or drop (depending on which mount is broken) more then just a little (less then a 1/2") then you most likely found your problem.

Had this happen on a '69 Camaro. Actually got the mechanical gas linkage to bind and keep the gas on when I took my foot off the pedal.

But if it were any of the mounts wouldn't it still do it when I drove it without the Rear DS in? Just curious, as I had thought about the mounts too but figured that it still would have shown up when the DS was out.

Yes and no. Since the transfer case routes power forward, loading tends to be different then when power goes to the rear. Something with the driveshaft being offset instead of centered in the vehicle.

OK I will check the mounts, anything else? A friend is coming to help me on Sunday so if you can think of anything else for us to check please say it.

Thanks all,
Brandon

Anyone?

not be be dumb, but do you have lift blocks? check out the pinion angle and see if your u bolts are tight, if they are loose then your pinion will want to point up

No lift blocks just springs for the lift. Will check the U bolts.

Thanks

I didn't notice any twist in it. But as with everything else suggested I will check it tomorrow.

bsr26 said:

I have seen a rear yoke bent and cracked from abuse.
Block the wheels put it in neutral grab the DS by the rear yoke and see if you can get any movement between ujoint and yoke.
Examine the yoke carefully the one I found bent was allowing the ujoint to move creating all kinds of vibration.

So it appears that I some how bent the output shaft on my TC. I will most likely be pulling it out tomorrow to crack it open and track down the problem. So is there anything i should look out for when I pull i tomorrow?

Thanks guys,
Brandon

Back