• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Hood release cable

You know Mike, you could replace it before it breaks.

LOL, That would make way too much sense, and end my tests on the ultimate durability and life span of the 85 cable, LOL! Alas it is the outer sheath on mine that is disintegrating, not the cable.

BTW, does anyone still sell a low cost replacement for the 85 cable?

The PO of my XJ somehow was able to yank the entire cable out through the grille. It would just hang there, and he used vice grips to pull on the inner cable when he needed to pop the hood. The fact that he never bothered to replace this $30 part, and instead left it like this was the red flag that guy didn't invest a penny into the car that he didn't have to.

Ill make you an extraordinarily good deal on this two piece model out of a 2000 lol.

The 85 is totally different from the 87-01s. Mine is loosing the outer sheath under the hood. The inner steel cable is still good so far. And 85's are real hard to find. I want to put in a new one, if I am going to spend time messing with it. But so far my duct tape, chewin gum and snake oil fixes are holding up just fine :)

Last edited:
????

It's all good. I don't expect anyone to get my weird sense of humor. Except you, Sequoia. You are just twisted enough to understand. You are also a jerk.

It's all good. I don't expect anyone to get my weird sense of humor. Except you, Sequoia. You are just twisted enough to understand. You are also a jerk.

LOL, now I get it, I must have been napin to have missed it, chuckle, chuckle. I HAVE been fighting allergies, eyes and sinus, not as bright eyed and bushy tailed as I usually am today.....

Spring came early here in Houston, about 6 weeks ago, time to mow the weeds already......lawn before it goes from current 18", to 24" and the city gets on my case. Not looking forward it, takes too much Benadryl mixed with caffeine LOL....

Back