• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke all rear upper shock mount bolts

I just bought a 95 and went to replace my rear shocks as they were rusted out so bad there was no "cylindrical effect" to them, the casings were rusted through so it was definately time for new rear shocks. All four of my rear upper bolts broke off. I'm about to order some BPE's... But my main question is, where exactly do you cut for the access panels? I noted the one side in the picture above, but does anyone have a pic of their entire trunk and where the access holes are? I already have some rust going on so cutting will not be an issue. I'm a few hours into trying to solve this as it is before I registered here and looked around for some answers, I'd LOVE to get this finished up.

IIRC, I read Commander rear shocks fit XJ's with bpe's? Is this the case, and if so, how about the fronts (provided bpe's up front also.)

Thanks for any help/insight you can give (and yes I searched, thats how I found this thread lol),

-Mike.

I've read through this one, as well as several others on this forum and on jeepforums as well. I'm going to opt to try the air hammer method and dropping the bolts in. I've read alot of different threads on this stuff, but just to make sure I know exactly what I need before I get ready to do this (so I have all of the parts I need):

-bpe's front and rear
-Commander? shocks (front and rear?)

If I do the front bpe's I would need a new shock that does NOT use the bar pin style mount. So if I'm correct on using Commander shocks, will I also need new front springs that are longer? Sorry guys, I'm new and have done alot of searching, just thinking out loud and making sure I know what I need in order to finish this. I know this thread is about the rear upper bolts breaking, but figured I might as well go bpe on all four corners as well as new shocks and am just double checking what I believe is the right method/parts list before I go for round 2.

Back