• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broadway title company/ no title in New Mexico

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, has anyone used Broadway title company? They get you a title if you lost yours or don't have one for your vehicle.

My problem is that I won an auction for a military cargo truck( M35A2 deuce and a half) and the auction company, Govliquidations, stated that they will not issue an SF97 form to get a title or anyother title paper work, just basically a bill of sale. I call the main number for the DMV here in New Mexico and the yahoo that I talked to said that I have to have a title to get a title, yea right.

So any thoughts or wisdom? The one big hurdle is that this truck NEVER had a title to begin with, coming out of the military that is. Maybe apply for a lost title? not sure how that would work.

thanks for looking

onetallmj said:
First of all, has anyone used Broadway title company? They get you a title if you lost yours or don't have one for your vehicle.

My problem is that I won an auction for a military cargo truck( M35A2 deuce and a half) and the auction company, Govliquidations, stated that they will not issue an SF97 form to get a title or anyother title paper work, just basically a bill of sale. I call the main number for the DMV here in New Mexico and the yahoo that I talked to said that I have to have a title to get a title, yea right.

So any thoughts or wisdom? The one big hurdle is that this truck NEVER had a title to begin with, coming out of the military that is. Maybe apply for a lost title? not sure how that would work.

thanks for looking

I think your first task is to find another yahoo from DMV. There must be a provision in NM for vehicles that are sold without title. Not all states require a title for all vehicles. Vermont, for example, will not title any vehicle over a certain age, even if they are bought with a previous title. I'm betting that there is some standard mechanism for generating a title in such situations, perhaps involving a serial number confirmation by law enforcement, or procedure similar to what you would do for a home-made or composite vehicle.

Remember that a NEW vehicle does not have a title from the factory, it has a CoO or Certificate of Origin or CoM [manufacturer] that the dealler turns into a title, you can actually buy a new car from a dealer with out a title, getting weird looks and resistance from the salesman, ask me how I know] and take it home, drive it on your property, etc but can't take it on public roads. If you have a bill of sale and there has never been a title issued you can get a title from almost any DMV as long as it is an official bill of sale, see if you can get it notorized though they may not do that, they, the govt, sell these vehicles and really don't want the liability of you taking them on the road. It is one of the major issues with buying those 1/4ton trailers. If you have a CoO or CoM you have to surrender it to the state for the title and can never get it back, it puts it on govt paper more or less and now it's in "The System" kind of like registering a gun that was never on paper.

RichP said:
Remember that a NEW vehicle does not have a title from the factory, it has a CoO or Certificate of Origin or CoM [manufacturer] that the dealler turns into a title, you can actually buy a new car from a dealer with out a title, getting weird looks and resistance from the salesman, ask me how I know] and take it home, drive it on your property, etc but can't take it on public roads. If you have a bill of sale and there has never been a title issued you can get a title from almost any DMV as long as it is an official bill of sale, see if you can get it notorized though they may not do that, they, the govt, sell these vehicles and really don't want the liability of you taking them on the road. It is one of the major issues with buying those 1/4ton trailers. If you have a CoO or CoM you have to surrender it to the state for the title and can never get it back, it puts it on govt paper more or less and now it's in "The System" kind of like registering a gun that was never on paper.

maybe i misunderstood your post, Why would you not get a title with a new car?

also how do you know :D

thanks for the info guys, I will try to call them again on Monday. I have to wait a few months for all the paperwork to go through before I can pick up the truck so hopefully by then I will have an answer about the title.

In my local experince, keep trying different offices, even different folks at the same office. You will get different answers, and one of them may be the answer you are looking for evetually. Try times of day when they are not busy.

helix said:
maybe i misunderstood your post, Why would you not get a title with a new car?

also how do you know :D

Bought a few vehicles in 75 and 76 that were never going to be driven on the street till we were done with them, I worked for a van customerizer where we bought NEW stripped dodge vans and built and customized them then sold them at which point we would exchange the CoO for a title. CT is an example, when you register or title a vehicle in Ct you get taxed yearly on it, never register or title it, no tax, no tax on transferring it to an out of state buyer, etc...

When I registered my Jeep in NM I got nothing but trouble because the guy who sold me the thing only gave me the signed title, and DMV in Los Alamos wouldn't accept it. I fought with them several times, no dice.

I drove down to Santa Fe and the lady took one look at my paperwork (I had to hunt down the guy I bought it from and get a BOS from him) and she just shook her head and asked if I was from LA. She had no probs with my original paperwork and complained that so many people go there from LA and Las Vegas because of the crappy attitudes at those DMV offices.

Food for thought-

Back