• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Breaks

GIJill

NAXJA Forum User
When I step on my breaks I hear a woshing sucking sort of noise. Does anyone know what this could be exactly? Any help would be great. Thanx in advance!

Maybe not. The vacuum booster is the big can behind the master cylinder. It has a black rubber hose running from the engine. A master cylinder kit sounds like a rebuild kit with cups and springs to repair it so that it won't pass hydraulic fluid internally.

What we need is more information. What year and mileage your Jeep is will help, along with finding the source of the noise. Is it louder under the hood or under the dash? - this will help.

My jeep is an 87 with 23k miles. It's loud when I step on the breaks inside my truck I haven't tested out to see if it's louder or not under my hood. Yeah my b/f said it was probably the break booster thing, but I wanted to make sure before I went to buy one.

As TiRod notes, it shouldn't need the master cylinder rebuild if the problem is just a leaky booster.

Just to be sure what is what, get in the vehicle and step on the brake. Now start the engine. The brake pedal should sink partway down, then stop sinking. IF it doesn't sink at all, then the booster is not only leaking, it's not working. If it continues to sink to the floor, you also need to look at the master cylinder and other brake issues. If it sinks some then stops, that's what is supposed to happen. You'll still need to replace the leaky booster, though, because even if it works to some extent, it might run out of boost under hard braking, the very moment you need it most!

You should also check the fluid level in the master cylinder to make sure it isn't leaking, because sometimes (not always) a leaky booster can be caused by brake fluid that has leaked into it from the master cylinder.

Brakes are mighty important. So if you don't feel comfortable dealing with this stuff, don't be embarrassed to go to a garage.

Should we talk upgrade yet? I would like to know more about the '96 and up cylinder and booster thing. I've read about others, but this might be a golden opportunity for a fellow Jeeper, especially if it's all bolt on.

TiRod said:
Should we talk upgrade yet? I would like to know more about the '96 and up cylinder and booster thing. I've read about others, but this might be a golden opportunity for a fellow Jeeper, especially if it's all bolt on.

Wait, what's this? tell me more! since I'm inevitably the one who's gonna end up doing the work on Jill's jeep ;)

(just you watch, this time next year her jeep will be bigger and badder than my truck and I'm gonna feel like a chump :D :D )

Apanthropy said:
Wait, what's this? tell me more! since I'm inevitably the one who's gonna end up doing the work on Jill's jeep ;)

(just you watch, this time next year her jeep will be bigger and badder than my truck and I'm gonna feel like a chump :D :D )

Check the archives, other sites and what not. (I'm too lazy this morning!) I think there is an article somewhere that describes the transplant, but it is not a completely simple bolt-on. The later brakes are definitely better, though.

Back